PPI in Jefferson City? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all -- I'm on the East Coast and considering a 100 series in Jefferson City for a weekend truck. I'm trying to find a local mechanic who can do a PPI. Does anyone have recommendations? There is a Toyota dealer in town but thinking of that as a last resort. Many thanks for any leads.

Also attaching underside pictures if folks have thoughts on that -- I'm used to rust in NY but don't have much experience with MO/lower Midwest vehicles in terms of rust. Seems like MO is on the border of the rust belt...

Finally, a bit of context: I've been hunting hard for an 80 series since the summer, but have now opened my search to 98-02 100s as well. I'm pretty well-versed in the 80 series issues, what to look for, etc. Don't know the 100s as well, other than the timing belt issue and they seem to rust a bit more than 80 series. So I welcome any issues to watch for from 100 series owners.

Many thanks again for any and all input here.

20201216_163723.jpg

20201216_163732.jpg

20201216_163739.jpg

20201216_163750.jpg

20201216_163755.jpg

Factory locked rear 98-99 have weaker front ends. 2 pinion vs 4 pinion. Looks like a pretty good leak front passenger corner. Could be many things. Most typical is power steering hoses old and brittle sealing I cut off an inch and use hose clamps seams to slow it down a lot. Worst case a rack or cv’s needing replaced.

Looks very rust free for a mid missouri truck. Must be low miles or it lived much further south than Jeff City.

Don't know anyone in Jeff City, you can try to bribe @cjmoon to drive there and do it....

Thanks all. It’s a mostly MO truck: it was in Joplin for its first four years, two years in SC, then Montana for a few years then back to MO since 09, in Columbia mostly until recently.

Don't know anyone in Jeff City, you can try to bribe @cjmoon to drive there and do it....
I like the plug, but busy enough to say it the 5 hour round trip cost would not be worth the buy it and take a gamble. Wish I had a reason to head that direction. PM me if your really wanting some eyes on it before buying, never know $500 spent know, might get that much or more off the price or more depending on were their staring from. if it seams like a deal your already expecting to spend some baseline money like the potential leaks and cv replacement like I mentioned.

I have customers from MN and NY. I have to take deep breaths and prep them for additional cost based on broken bolts. from the pictures provided I don't see that being the case.

The years in Montana and SC make since, looks cleaner rust wise than most I look at in the area. I specialize in 80 and 100 series cruiser. Gray Industries Cruisers.

Jess

Thanks all. It’s a mostly MO truck: it was in Joplin for its first four years, two years in SC, then Montana for a few years then back to MO since 09, in Columbia mostly until recently.
even as far south as Joplin has more temperate climate with less exposure then typical KS/MO. if you pass let me know contact info. Not looking for another, but like what I've seen so far.

Hi all -- I'm on the East Coast and considering a 100 series in Jefferson City for a weekend truck. I'm trying to find a local mechanic who can do a PPI. Does anyone have recommendations? There is a Toyota dealer in town but thinking of that as a last resort. Many thanks for any leads.

Also attaching underside pictures if folks have thoughts on that -- I'm used to rust in NY but don't have much experience with MO/lower Midwest vehicles in terms of rust. Seems like MO is on the border of the rust belt...

Finally, a bit of context: I've been hunting hard for an 80 series since the summer, but have now opened my search to 98-02 100s as well. I'm pretty well-versed in the 80 series issues, what to look for, etc. Don't know the 100s as well, other than the timing belt issue and they seem to rust a bit more than 80 series. So I welcome any issues to watch for from 100 series owners.

Many thanks again for any and all input here.

View attachment 2528325

View attachment 2528326

View attachment 2528327

View attachment 2528328

View attachment 2528329
I can look at toy if you are still interested I have been working in Jeff City lately

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom