PowerSteering Pump / Steering shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im getting closer to completing my v8 swap and have now come across a problem with the steering shaft and Saginaw pump being in the way.
I have a 1978 sbc block with the stock pump brackets and a saginaw PS setup

Can I mount the pump up high with different SBC mounts ? or maybe on the other side ?

Use a 2 part steering shaft ?

Move the motor back closer to center ? 1/2" would probably do it...its over 1" now to the drivers side (gm center dump rams horns)

I really didn't see this one coming and am pretty stuck for what the cause and fix might be.

Are you running a low mount PS pump? I have swapped systems on a few v-8's, just make sure that you get all the pulleys that you rob the pump and bracketry from, just to make things easier.

If you can move the engine to the pass side a bit, and not cause too much problem with driveline angles, then do it. I was working on the same thing with a ram jat I am putting into a 40, it is still towards the drivers side, but I did move it towards the pass side a bit from where I had planned on it being.

Good luck!

-Steve

You must have used a Scout steering box?? I used the GM Saginaw box with the engine mounted pretty low and ~1/2" off center and the steering pump down low. I don't have a clearance problem at all.

How about someone with the Scout box? What's he need?

FWIW you can mount the steering pump on the roof as long as you have a way to make it go round. It means custom brackets, though. :)

Poser

I am running the pump on the drivers side down low...what car/truck should I look for at the junkyard that would have it mounted differently ?

The set up is saginaw pump and box

Theo

I mounted my motor with the welded on section of the A/A mount flush with the frame...is yours lower than that ?

I thought I read in the tech section that you may have to install aftermarket headers that hug the block closer?

[quote author=knuckledragger link=board=1;threadid=10642;start=msg95852#msg95852 date=1075184230]
Theo

I mounted my motor with the welded on section of the A/A mount flush with the frame...is yours lower than that ?
[/quote]

Well, I'd take a picture tonight but my wife split with the camera for Costa Rica. What luck! She gets a vacation and I get to babysit a teenager with a bad attitude.

I'll see about borrowing a camera and get back to you tomorrow. I know my fan is well below center of the radiator. The hoses from the steering pump run under the steering shaft and almost rub on it. I think my motor mount weld-on plates are flush like yours.

I'll be back.
theo

It's called "parenting," Theo, not "babysitting!" :-*

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=10642;start=msg95928#msg95928 date=1075213629]
It's called "parenting," Theo, not "babysitting!" :-*
[/quote]

"It's not MY fault I got a D and you're taking my drivers license away! How am I supposed to get to school? I'm not riding the bus. Forget that. Nobody rides the bus."

"How am I supposed to get to work?"

"I can't believe you won't let me stay over at Sean's this weekend. So what if his mom has no limits and we stay out all night drinking beer and smoking dope and cruising around? What's so bad about that? Huh?"

"This really sucks. You can't believe what a s***ty dad you are. Why don't you just not worry about it? It's my life."

Maybe so, Dave, but you could have fooled me! ;)

What about mounting it in front of the drivers side head? Since youre running the long water pump, you would need to space the ps pump so your pulleys would line up. I ended up ditching the GM pump and running a speedway pump and bracket and it worked out great. Didn't cost too much either. Best of Luck.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

[quote author=knuckledragger link=board=1;threadid=10642;start=msg95851#msg95851 date=1075184143]
Poser

I am running the pump on the drivers side down low...what car/truck should I look for at the junkyard that would have it mounted differently ?

The set up is saginaw pump and box
[/quote]

There are a lot of chev vehicles that have the pump mounted high on the drivers side late 70s and 80' caprice, impalla, etc. Just be sure to get the complete bracketry for all components, alt, p/s, and all pulleys just to make sure that you have everything that you may need. It is always better to have extra, than not enough.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom