Powersteering bleed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, I'm new to the land cruiser world and happy to be here.

I just bought a 91 FZJ80 and i replaced the power steering pump because it was seizing up and preventing the belt from spinning and steering was a nightmare. I am tryign to figureout how to bleed the system of air. i jacked it up opened up the resivour and locked the steering out multiple times. didnt work. I checked the Chilton manual and it says to upen the bleeder port on the gear box but i cannot seem to find it. Am I doing something way wrong or what?

1991 FZJ 80 237k

Or just drive the truck for a few days.

You have an FJ80 (1991-1992), not an FZJ80 (1993-1997).
To this day I am still mystified by the procedures people go through to bleed a system that self bleeds.
Fill the reservoir, start the truck briefly and allow it to fill the system. Shut down. Fill the reservoir, start the truck. Lather, rinse, repeat until the level is correct.
Turn left and right.

If you leave them running, the fluid which has air compressed into it like a coke, will slowly dissipate the tiny bubbles in the reservoir, which is open to the atmosphere. Avoid full lock turns and don't shut it off for quite a while. shutting I off lets the compressed bubbles expand, foaming it out the vent, like the shaken up coke. Not specific to LC however many years of other makes and styles. The pump has air that was in it whipped and compressed into the fluid. takes a long time sometimes.

Yeah, I forgot to put down - I never have the vehicle running when I do the bleed. Froths things up too much.

I checked the Chilton manual and it says to upen the bleeder port on the gear box but i cannot seem to find it. Am I doing something way wrong or what?
Throw the Chilton manual in the recycle bin and get the Toyota factory service manual.
There is no bleeder port on the steering box. The system self bleeds.

Hi there, I'm new to the land cruiser world and happy to be here.

Go look in Johnhled's sig line, you will find the link to the Factory Service Manual. He's a LOT more subtle than Joey... LOL

Thanks! I appreciate the help. Now if only I could figure out why when i steer to the left almost full lock my belt stops spinning :confused:. Any tips for that?

Thanks! I appreciate the help. Now if only I could figure out why when i steer to the left almost full lock my belt stops spinning :confused:. Any tips for that?
That's a loose or worn belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom