Power Steering "Turning Off"; Clueless on Cause, But Can Replicate It. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
Occasionally, the power steering will just go out - it's as if it's electric and a switch flips... just off. If I wait a couple seconds, it comes back. It only happens at very low speeds (or this would be a very different thread). I narrowed in on when it happens, but still don't know why it happens.

If I make a locked 120-degree (or more) turn, there's a 25% chance the steering will be dead when I go to straighten the wheel. Oddly - jinx in 3... 2... - this never happens making a U-turn on the street. I wonder if the RPMs at that speed are a factor - more pressure.

Anyone else experienced this? Anything to look at or try? ACC is my go-to shop, but I'd like to give them as much info before dropping it off - so they don't have to start from square-one replicating, diagnosing, etc.

Thanks!

How about just the basics.

Fluid level / Clogged screen? Vacuum lines cracked/not connected to air vane on pump?

I had the happen a couple of times when making a left turn onto a boulevard from a side street. It turned out that my PS reservior (and screen) was collecting dust and dirt. The cap was not properly sealing. So it sucked dust and dirt into the system. It must have been starving the system for fluid during turns. The fluid in the reservior was on the full line. Eventually the pump became so noisy from ingesting dirt and mud that I had to replace it. The pump had been replaced a few months earlier to remedy a constant whine.

I would start by cleaning out the reservoir and the internal screens.

1641834918827.png

Also, check the vacuum switch on your power steering pump. IIRC, it bumps up your rpm a touch when you are turning at low rpm. There should be two vacuum lines going to the switch on top of the pump.

Is your pump whining?

Thanks guys. The pump is quiet, levels are correct, no cracked or disconnected lines. Next up will be checking/cleaning those screens.

Thanks guys. The pump is quiet, levels are correct, no cracked or disconnected lines. Next up will be checking/cleaning those screens.
I'm curious of that process. Does it involve removing the reservoir or can it be done with it still mounted? Report back with what you find.

I'm curious of that process. Does it involve removing the reservoir or can it be done with it still mounted? Report back with what you find.
The reservoir needs to be drained and removed to clean the screens in the bottom of it. There are some threads that walk you through the process. Mostly drain, clean with hot water and soap and a brush, and dry.

I had the same issue a few years ago, with the same root cause others are describing. Dirt/debris in the fluid. I had to flush the whole thing (twice) to resolve, and replaced the PS reservoir cap while I was at it. Freaked me out the first time it happened as I was on a trail!

I had the same issue a few years ago, with the same root cause others are describing. Dirt/debris in the fluid. I had to flush the whole thing (twice) to resolve, and replaced the PS reservoir cap while I was at it. Freaked me out the first time it happened as I was on a trail!

I've been using a MitiVac fluid extractor to evacuate the system after cleaning the reservoir. I can run the extractor tube down inside the PS hose and extract it down to the point where it meets the pump.

Since this happened, I've started changing PS fluid way more frequently than before.

My problem started with a reservoir cap that would not properly seal. It allowed dust and dirt to be sucked into the system.

Here's a new reservoir where we can see the new micro screens inside.

1641924341454.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom