Power Steering Pump/Hose Replacement + BLEED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_6069.jpeg

Round 2... installed it and did the FSM flush method again before turning the wheels for the first time. Feels pretty good when normally driving, maybe a little less assist than the pump I started with, 2 weeks ago. Kind of tough sometimes when stationary, however mainly I can't get to full lock turning left while stationary... the littlest bit of gas while in drive will get it to go all the way over to the left, but not while stationary. I'm hoping it works itself out, but maybe someone here has some wisdom. Already better than round 1, but somehow not as good as the pump that was on there when I started all of this (miscellaneous remanufactured, worked fine but was leaking.) Is there an award for most challenging PS pump replacement?

Is that a New Pulley? If so, Can I ask you where you got it?

Is that a New Pulley? If so, Can I ask you where you got it?
It was a new pulley as of 3 years ago. Had it replaced thinking it was causing belt squeak issues. (I still have a consistent belt squeak, I gave up.) On the bright side, I did get probably one of the last OEM pulleys available. It was not cheap.

Update on this whole saga while i'm at it - power steering works but does cut out when I'm trying to parallel park or do a 3-point turn or something. I can hear it groaning and it's just not making all the pressure under heavy demand that it needs to. Ignoring it for now but honestly considering buying a rebuild kit for my original power steering pump (random brand reman from 20 years ago) because even though it leaked, it did a damn good job with power assist. I'd like to think it's not City Racer's product but I am skeptical at this point.

Round 2... installed it and did the FSM flush method again before turning the wheels for the first time. Feels pretty good when normally driving, maybe a little less assist than the pump I started with, 2 weeks ago. Kind of tough sometimes when stationary, however mainly I can't get to full lock turning left while stationary... the littlest bit of gas while in drive will get it to go all the way over to the left, but not while stationary.
This sounds like a slipping belt to me. One of the things I had issues with on my 91 was a slipping belt on the PS pulley, especially if you're in the rocks. If you tighten the belt with the tensioner pulley, it decreases the amount of wrap on the PS pulley. That = more belt tension with less wrap.
What I used to do is loosen the tensioner pulley all the way, and with a prybar, move the PS pump to tighten the belt. The reservoir will be slightly crooked, but it will not impede performance.
You can also bypass the smog pump using Dayco belt # 22528. This will significantly increase the amount of belt wrap.

This sounds like a slipping belt to me. One of the things I had issues with on my 91 was a slipping belt on the PS pulley, especially if you're in the rocks. If you tighten the belt with the tensioner pulley, it decreases the amount of wrap on the PS pulley. That = more belt tension with less wrap.
What I used to do is loosen the tensioner pulley all the way, and with a prybar, move the PS pump to tighten the belt. The reservoir will be slightly crooked, but it will not impede performance.
You can also bypass the smog pump using Dayco belt # 22528. This will significantly increase the amount of belt wrap.
I thought the way you adjusted the belt that goes around the PS pulley is with the PS pulley. It's all the way to the right (DS) in its bracket. (Or Are you saying I should move it towards PS?) That's how I've always replaced/serviced that belt anyways. Didnt know there was a separate tensioner for that belt. Regardless, wouldnt I hear if it was slipping?

I thought the way you adjusted the belt that goes around the PS pulley is with the PS pulley. It's all the way to the right (DS) in its bracket. (Or Are you saying I should move it towards PS?) That's how I've always replaced/serviced that belt anyways. Didnt know there was a separate tensioner for that belt. Regardless, wouldnt I hear if it was slipping?
Please see the illustration below. Although it is not 100% correct to scale, it shows all the pullies and function, with correct belt routing.
As far as hearing the slipping belt, maybe, maybe not. I never heard mine slip. It wasn't until I had someone else in the driver's seat with me under the hood watching. Then I realized what the issue was.
I think you're confusing left/right. The smog pump is on the left, the PS pump is on the right, as seated in the driver's seat.

1690719868739.jpeg

Please see the illustration below. Although it is not 100% correct to scale, it shows all the pullies and function, with correct belt routing.
As far as hearing the slipping belt, maybe, maybe not. I never heard mine slip. It wasn't until I had someone else in the driver's seat with me under the hood watching. Then I realized what the issue was.
I think you're confusing left/right. The smog pump is on the left, the PS pump is on the right, as seated in the driver's seat.

View attachment 3387314
Yes. I meant on the right as youre looking in the engine bay from the front. I have PS pump (the one on the RIGHT) adjusted all the way to the LEFT (as seated in driver's seat) in its bracket.

Yes. I meant on the right as youre looking in the engine bay from the front. I have PS pump (the one on the RIGHT) adjusted all the way to the LEFT (as seated in driver's seat) in its bracket.
So the PS pump is in the loosest position in the bracket. Check the tension of the belt. I suspect it is loose.
At the very least, have someone turn the wheel while you look as the PS pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom