Power steering pump failures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
How common is is a PS vane pump failure on a 200? I'm at 150K. I have no known alternator issues but I will have the front apart while I replace water pump and alternator. A new PS pump isn't cheap but getting to all of the pulley driven parts on the front is not easy. For right or for wrong, I'm essentially preemptively replacing water pump, alternator, fan pulley, idler, tensioner, etc. Essentially everything that spins with a bearing. I want the next 150K to be like the first 150K, no breakdowns. But I had not thought about the PS pump until I started to remove it to get to the alternator.

If the fluid has been maintained it should be good for another 150K. They are fairly simple mechanics. On the flip side your doing already pulling the front to do the rest of the work. The PS pump is $300 or less plus the pully and all of the labor is just getting to it. Once you tear everything off to get to it the PS pump is plug and play. Why not? Seems your doing the work for piece of mind. IF something went wrong in a year or 10 you will be kicking yourself and cursing the person who told you not to do it.

I had never had one fail on any of the 200s I have owned. But did just have to replace one on a 2017 Tundra I own in my business it only had 45k miles on it When it failed last week. I Am not sure if 200s share the same ps pumps or not.

Is the PS fluid just Dextron III ATF?

Mine just failed. 170k. I think it failed since I’m on 35s, was locked and turning hard to get out of ruts in the snow but that is a guess.
After shopping around, I found McGeorge Toyota to be the cheapest with shipping for a new OEM pump. Hopefully it arrives next week. I’ll only be replacing that not the alternator (did water pump with radiator when cracked at 160k). I’ll try to document the install but I’m usually too pressed for time to stop and take pics.

Mine just failed. 170k. I think it failed since I’m on 35s, was locked and turning hard to get out of ruts in the snow but that is a guess.
After shopping around, I found McGeorge Toyota to be the cheapest with shipping for a new OEM pump. Hopefully it arrives next week. I’ll only be replacing that not the alternator (did water pump with radiator when cracked at 160k). I’ll try to document the install but I’m usually too pressed for time to stop and take pics.
So what happened when it failed? I'm assuming with any serpentine belt vehicle that your done driving if the pump locked up.

Are you going to flush the system first before you uninstall it or do you think most of the fluid will drain when you pull the pump? I am going to replace mine and I'm pretty sure the fluid has never been flushed so I was wondering if I should flush it first rather than flushing it after I replace the pump.

It started whining when turning and it got hard to turn. Belt didn’t not tear.
I’ll just drain it and replace with new fluid.
Also interested in learning what the recommended PS fluid is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom