Power Steering leak?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,
I have a question about a leaky power steering unit. So far, we have been successful limping by, but the truck is going to need some attention soon. I am having a hard time locating the exact sorce of the leak, but it would appear that it is coming from the back side of the pump or the inlet for the high pressure hose. My thought was to replace the seals in the pump first as they are the cheapest. Just curious how difficult this job is? Also, should it turn out to be the high pressure side, can I find a replacement hose cheaper than the Toyota OEM ($200). Thanks for any advice.

only decent way to find a leak is to wash everything *well* than get under there (with eye protection) and have someone turn the steering from stop to stop.

you'll likely see a jet of fluid at some point

be careful-- high pressure side can eject fluid with enough pressure to penetrate your skin and do all sorts of nasty gangrenous damage.

if you need to manipulate a hose while there, use a long screwdriver or something, not your fingers.

You can get the HP hose from Autozone or other parts store for around $50-$70. Is this your daily driver? If it is and you can't be without it I would order both the seals the hose. Get some low pressure hose also, it's cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom