Power Steering Gear Box Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rockauto has remanufactured 80 series boxes and they're actually closer to $300 if you return your core. I'm assuming a reman box means its a genuine toyota box thats been rebuilt but thats just a guess. Is it possible they're remanufacturing off-brand boxes? Double woof if thats the case.
I've got my gear off my 80 series and ready to ship to redhead for rebuild, but reading this I kinda wanna try and rebuild myself for $40 lol. Any update on how your steering is now?

I've got my gear off my 80 series and ready to ship to redhead for rebuild, but reading this I kinda wanna try and rebuild myself for $40 lol. Any update on how your steering is now?
Great, gear box is leak free but the pump still leaks. The seal kit for the gear box was less than $20 when I bought it. I picked up a seal kit for the pump at the same time for closer to $10 if i remember correctly but didn’t never start that job since I couldn’t find any success stories online of people rebuilding the pump on account of the bushing that tends to wear and leak and is irreplaceable. Not sure if I should do the popular Saginaw conversion or just give the rebuild a shot anyways since I already have the kit. I daily my cruiser but often think about the ticking time bomb smog pump under the hood.

Great, gear box is leak free but the pump still leaks. The seal kit for the gear box was less than $20 when I bought it. I picked up a seal kit for the pump at the same time for closer to $10 if i remember correctly but didn’t never start that job since I couldn’t find any success stories online of people rebuilding the pump on account of the bushing that tends to wear and leak and is irreplaceable. Not sure if I should do the popular Saginaw conversion or just give the rebuild a shot anyways since I already have the kit. I daily my cruiser but often think about the ticking time bomb smog pump under the hood.
That's great to hear. I've got an ebay re-seal kit coming, and now I'm looking at replacing the pressure and return lines but not super familiar with steering lines. Looks like Edelmann 91760 will cover the FJ80 pressure line. As far as steering return lines go, is that just soft 3/8" ID Hose with the correct fitting for the Steering Gear? Or does that need to have some hard lines too?

That's great to hear. I've got an ebay re-seal kit coming, and now I'm looking at replacing the pressure and return lines but not super familiar with steering lines. Looks like Edelmann 91760 will cover the FJ80 pressure line. As far as steering return lines go, is that just soft 3/8" ID Hose with the correct fitting for the Steering Gear? Or does that need to have some hard lines too?
Yep for the return lines you can just use 3/8” TOC (transmission oil cooler) hose from the parts store, I think I got 4 feet of it to replace both lines. This is all for an fj60, I don’t know anything about what fj80’s run FYI. And I didn’t replace any Teflon rings when rebuilding the gear box. That’s what ends up botching the job when people do these rebuilds. The Teflon rings in the cheap kits are supposedly too big and they tear on reassembly. Then people end up buying more kits or buying rings from Toyota. Sounded annoying and my rings looked fine to me so I left them and I didn’t run into any issues when reassembling. Good luck! I really thought I was going to be forking over hundreds of dollars to fix the mess that was my gear box but ended up being a really cheap fix and I got to see what’s inside a gearbox for the first time.

Great info!
I didn’t replace any Teflon rings when rebuilding the gear box. That’s what ends up botching the job when people do these rebuilds. The Teflon rings in the cheap kits are supposedly too big and they tear on reassembly. Then people end up buying more kits or buying rings from Toyota. Sounded annoying and my rings looked fine to me so I left them and I didn’t run into any issues when reassembling.
So you completely left the teflon rings and the o-rings under them alone?

Great info!

So you completely left the teflon rings and the o-rings under them alone?
Yep, I 100% didn’t touch any of the Teflon rings on the outside of that big piston (can’t remember what it’s called). There was a teflon ring or two on the inside of the box where the sector shaft goes that I did replace. If you’ve looked up any how-to’s on here It’s the one where people mention making a heart shape with the Teflon ring in order to get it in the groove. Anyways it’s been a while now since I did it so apologies for the hazy memory. Everything was really easy until I had to put the worm gear bearings back in, that took me a while to get right. My main goal was to stop a heinous leak at the main shaft seal but it turned out to be super gunky in there so I was happy to get a chance to clean all the crud out as well.

Yep, I 100% didn’t touch any of the Teflon rings on the outside of that big piston (can’t remember what it’s called). There was a teflon ring or two on the inside of the box where the sector shaft goes that I did replace. If you’ve looked up any how-to’s on here It’s the one where people mention making a heart shape with the Teflon ring in order to get it in the groove. Anyways it’s been a while now since I did it so apologies for the hazy memory. Everything was really easy until I had to put the worm gear bearings back in, that took me a while to get right. My main goal was to stop a heinous leak at the main shaft seal but it turned out to be super gunky in there so I was happy to get a chance to clean all the crud out as well.
I've got my box to the last step but I think I screwed up somewhere along the way. I can get all the balls back into the piston/gear and get the tube one, put it into the box, then turn the input shaft until the gears are centered for the sector shaft. My problem is that once I turn the input shaft past a certain point it like binds up when trying to reverse it. When I bolt the cover over the adjustment screw I also have almost no room for adjustment/can't turn the screw left or right. Not sure what I did wrong but leaning towards just ordering a reman from rockauto and being done with this mess.

I've got my box to the last step but I think I screwed up somewhere along the way. I can get all the balls back into the piston/gear and get the tube one, put it into the box, then turn the input shaft until the gears are centered for the sector shaft. My problem is that once I turn the input shaft past a certain point it like binds up when trying to reverse it. When I bolt the cover over the adjustment screw I also have almost no room for adjustment/can't turn the screw left or right. Not sure what I did wrong but leaning towards just ordering a reman from rockauto and being done with this mess.
If the shaft binds then the bearings went in wrong. I can’t tell you exactly how they went in wrong but I had to do it over and over again until it wouldn’t bind. You can watch a few videos online of people doing it although I didn’t find a single one that was well explained when it came to putting the bearings back in. When they go in correctly it won’t bind.

Rockauto has remanufactured 80 series boxes and they're actually closer to $300 if you return your core. I'm assuming a reman box means its a genuine toyota box thats been rebuilt but thats just a guess. Is it possible they're remanufacturing off-brand boxes? Double woof if thats the case.
Did anyone find an answer to this question?

Did anyone find an answer to this question?
I've currently got a "reman" box in my 80 from rockauto, it's a BBB Industries box: More Information for BBB INDUSTRIES 5110111 - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7044484&cc=0&pt=7416&jsn=1209

Interestingly enough, the "TOYODA" emblem on the side of it seems to have been ground down and repainted, or was never there and it truly is an off-brand box.

The first one I ordered leaked from the High Pressure fitting due to bad machining. (Holy s*** what a pain to diagnose)

The second one is holding tight and feels great, however I can't speak to longevity as I got about 100 miles on it before my 3FE seems to have kicked the bucket.

I've currently got a "reman" box in my 80 from rockauto, it's a BBB Industries box: More Information for BBB INDUSTRIES 5110111 - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7044484&cc=0&pt=7416&jsn=1209

Interestingly enough, the "TOYODA" emblem on the side of it seems to have been ground down and repainted, or was never there and it truly is an off-brand box.

The first one I ordered leaked from the High Pressure fitting due to bad machining. (Holy s*** what a pain to diagnose)

The second one is holding tight and feels great, however I can't speak to longevity as I got about 100 miles on it before my 3FE seems to have kicked the bucket.
you getting your 3FE rebuilt? why did it kck the bucket?

Just rebuilt my 2F.... ive got notes and scars engrained within every cell of my body if you want to know how to not do it the hard way like I did...In short KNOW your machinist.... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom