Power Steering from a 1988 toyota truck can I use it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen where power steering units were used from mini trucks up to 1985 year models. I have a 1988 toyota extracab 4 x 4 that has a motor with a cracked block. Can I use the steering box and components to upgrade my 73 FJ40 steering? Also what about any other parts that could be used to upgrade my 73. Thanks in advance for the info.
Doublegun

The 79-85 minitruck PS boxes are used because they bolt on in a similar configuration as the factory manual steering boxes in a cruiser, and retain the stock relay rod and center link setup. (not necessarily a good thing)

The 86-later boxes are considered an upgrade for the earlier minitrucks, as they are used to install crossover-type steering linkage.

While the IFS boxes (what you have) are similar to an FJ60 box, the pitman arm points backwards, so the box has to be mounted very far forward on the frame, so far forward that it is not worth using the box. You cannot just flip the pitman arm around because the rotation is reversed.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll save up some cash for another style power steering conversion. Until then I'll just keep eating my Wheaties . On the good side my wife never wants to borrow my 40. Thanks, Doublegun

If I remember correctly the 85 4x4 from a toyota truck has the same insides of an fj40's ps grear box. If you can get a hold of a fj40 ps casing you should be able to convert it easily. I bought a fj40 ps casing about 4 years ago. I'm not sure if they are still available.

I have the Mini truck setup , where can I find rebuild kit or seals for the gear box.
Thanks for the post and for any help.
Vic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom