Power Steering Flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to flush the power steering system. Of course, I don't have the FSM - will order it this week.

Could someone post the procedure for flushing it - the reservoir looks to easily accessed but the rest of the system is buried way down low.

Thanks.

T.Roy...

lcruzrlvr said:
Need to flush the power steering system. Of course, I don't have the FSM - will order it this week.

Could someone post the procedure for flushing it - the reservoir looks to easily accessed but the rest of the system is buried way down low.

Thanks.

T.Roy...

plenty of info on this in the 80 section that should be relevant.
Bottom line is that some folks are just happy sucking the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster or something similar, replenishing it, and doing this a few times over a period of time until it looks new. Not most efficient fluid wise but easiest.

I did the turkey baster thing a few years ago, will do it again soon. IIRC, I had the car on ramps so I could turn the wheel back and forth to circulate the new fluid. Last time, I used Valvoline ATF w/ Dextron III/Mercon (couldn't find Dextron II). This time, I bought some chevron ATF w/ Dextron III/Mercon ($1.99/qt). I felt synthetic ATF for the power steering was a waste.

I did this on a FZJ80 (had it flushed and refilled with fresh fluid as a PM) It started leaking after the flush :(. Ended up with a new unit. I would not put anything in your PS other then PS fluid, I think the cleaner messed mine up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom