1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Steering Flush

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by lcruzrlvr, Jul 7, 2005.

1. lcruzrlvr

lcruzrlvr

Need to flush the power steering system. Of course, I don't have the FSM - will order it this week.

Could someone post the procedure for flushing it - the reservoir looks to easily accessed but the rest of the system is buried way down low.

Thanks.

T.Roy...

2. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

plenty of info on this in the 80 section that should be relevant.
    Bottom line is that some folks are just happy sucking the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster or something similar, replenishing it, and doing this a few times over a period of time until it looks new. Not most efficient fluid wise but easiest.

3. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

I did the turkey baster thing a few years ago, will do it again soon. IIRC, I had the car on ramps so I could turn the wheel back and forth to circulate the new fluid. Last time, I used Valvoline ATF w/ Dextron III/Mercon (couldn't find Dextron II). This time, I bought some chevron ATF w/ Dextron III/Mercon ($1.99/qt). I felt synthetic ATF for the power steering was a waste.

4. Kanab

Kanab

I did this on a FZJ80 (had it flushed and refilled with fresh fluid as a PM) It started leaking after the flush :(. Ended up with a new unit. I would not put anything in your PS other then PS fluid, I think the cleaner messed mine up.