Builds POTM - March, 2014 - Javelina By Pablo Cruise (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you plan on using trailer brakes?

No. I just have a small, light pop-up camper that I think won't stress the 3FE out too much. Pop up does not have trailer brakes.

But I see your point, I could wire the brake prong on the 7-wire connector for brake if I ever need to go there...

Good thought!

Thanks all. Now I just need a little more daylight at the end of the workday!

Last edited:
yes, brake and/or turn...

Great! I got everything hooked up.

Green/yellow for R turn signal, green/black for L turn.

Now I'll see how the lighting on the old pop-up is holding up...

10-17-14 002.jpg
10-17-14 001.jpg

Last edited:
great write up and thanks for sharing. just read through from the beginning. I think I'll get out in the garage today and work on mine.

Good choice on the later style front turn signals, I don't know what it is, but they just beef up the front end of the Pigs.

Where did you get the new hub caps? I see Amazon has them for a decent price. Also, I need the rear vents covers for the cargo area side covers (don't know what they are really called) Did your Pig have those already ort did you have to source them?

And, I'm in for a rear bumper group buy, did you ever get a price?

Thanks!

great write up and thanks for sharing. just read through from the beginning. I think I'll get out in the garage today and work on mine.

Good choice on the later style front turn signals, I don't know what it is, but they just beef up the front end of the Pigs.

Where did you get the new hub caps? I see Amazon has them for a decent price. Also, I need the rear vents covers for the cargo area side covers (don't know what they are really called) Did your Pig have those already ort did you have to source them?

And, I'm in for a rear bumper group buy, did you ever get a price?

Thanks!

Cool, I am glad you enjoyed the write-up, and glad it could provide motivation for your build!

Yes, I am not a fan of the earlier turn signals on Pigs. But on my '78 40, I want to change it over to 70-series turn signals.

I got the hubcaps years ago from a Toyota Parts Department that was having a sale on them. It was back when I was thinking they might go on my 40. I am a little embarrassed as to how long I have had them!

Are you talking about the quarter panel vents for the exterior? Or in the interior?

Rear bumper group buy details are here, glad you like it! Pablo Style FJ 55 Bumper

Last edited:
TJ, looks like I'm a little late to contribute to this thread, but Kevin Patterson has what I think are some pretty good thoughts on making good wiring splices/connections, for instance here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ratcheting-wire-crimpers.776280/#post-8834228

Mid-Wire Splices:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/jim-s-fj40-tuneup.603197/page-11#post-7846120

No way, your posts are always a good contribution.

I am glad to see these, as I followed a similar path. My friend was kind enough to lend me his crimper, same style as Kevin used, along with the ratcheting strippers. He gave his choice of crimps that do not have a seam in them, and the shrink tube w/ internal adhesive.

After I returned the tools to my friend, I was working on my old RC car with my little guy. This was my RC car that I built with my Dad in my early teens. I was wishing I had those cool strippers (?!?), I might have to go out and get a pair.

Now I need some free time to go hook up to the pop-up and see how bad the lights are on that!

Funny that you ask, because I thought about this a bit...
I dropped the seat off on 6 Sept while I was in the area at a car show. The guy said he was a week or two behind, and it would take him a week to do the work. So I am thinking I will get the seat back on or around 27 Sept for $500. I thought the $500 was high, as it was what I paid for the front seat, and that was more work, but then I had to realize the front seat was done 6 years earlier. So I said "O-K".

Fast forward to 1 November. The seat is ready to be picked up! There were a number of issues that came up to delay the job, blah-blah-blah. So I drive the Pig to the upholstery shop to pick up the seat. It looks good so we install it in the Pig, and I notice the pleats in the seat back, don't line up with the pleats on the seat bottom. Hmm... I point this out, so the guy says he will take the seat back out and pull the cover over. He is gone for a few minutes and then comes back. We put the seat back in and the pleats still don't match up. At this point I am bumming. The guy is confounded. He says he followed the originals exactly. He takes the seat back off again and says he will try it again.

Now I will say this, the guy is not young. He is an old-timer. And taking the seat back in and out is not effortless for him, I can tell. I am starting to wonder if I am being a dick? I don't want to be unreasonable to the guy, but I also want a good final product if he is expecting 5 bills for the job. I remember that I took a bunch of pictures of the seat when I took it out in case there were any questions. So I pull out my phone and start flipping through the pictures of the original seat, and Son-Of-A-Gun! Look at this pic below! The factory didn't have this $h!t lined up evenly! If the guy followed the factory pattern, no wonder they weren't lining up. And I never noticed... So the guy brings the seat back out. We install it. Again. and the pleats still don't line up, again. I tell the guy that I love it, and ask how much I owe him? $450. Deal.

I was glad I had that pic to help me through the decision making process.

Probably a longer answer than you were after! It just seems like it is getting harder to find shops and pros that will/can do any work on our old Piggies. I wanted to get a good result, and also treat this old-timer right at the same time. I hope I did...

11-5-14 070.jpg

Incredible read! Just another reason why this site and all the knowledge so freely given are so important to supporting our hobby (read obsession). Add to that the support and encouragement given by so many of the participants, help on parts sourcing, technical assistance, and just knowing what others are doing to try and live with their affliction.

Thanks so very much!

Great job, fantastic looking pig!

Incredible read! Just another reason why this site and all the knowledge so freely given are so important to supporting our hobby (read obsession). Add to that the support and encouragement given by so many of the participants, help on parts sourcing, technical assistance, and just knowing what others are doing to try and live with their affliction.

Thanks so very much!

Great job, fantastic looking pig!

Thank you Bob! I appreciate the compliments, and glad you enjoyed reading...

I have gotten some questions about what pieces I used for the inner and outer window felts.
I cannot remember where all the questions have been posted, so I hope this post reaches everyone with questions...

I got the inners from Restoration Specialties - you have to order in a 8' (96") stick, but they can cut in half prior to shipping

Item #: YM54R-96-WIN

The outer window wiper that I used I got from B-D Company, also sold in 96" sticks or 48": WEA/75001371
http://www.b-dco.com/ecom/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1822

I have been getting a little (emphasis on little) time to play with the Pig lately...

I found a set of 3 point retractable belts from a '76 Pig and started putting them in.
The retractor unit barely clears the bench seat when it is all the way back.
Both sides have the retractor on the same side - so they are not a mirror image of each other. It just looks like the retractor goes in front on driver side and in back on the passenger. These belts also have the "tongue" (part that inserts into the buckle) in different orientations. On one side the tongue points out towards the window, on the other side it points in. Go figure.

After all the fitting, the passenger side belt does not lock up when I pull on the belt suddenly. I guess the inertia mechanism doesn't work. Bummer. Driver side works well. I will ship the pass side off to Snake Oyl and see if they can fix it. Otherwise I think I will just give up and get a set of new belts.

6-29-15 255.jpg
6-29-15 232.jpg
6-29-15 233.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom