Portal Axles/Springover/fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to install portal axles and spring over for tire and ground clearance. Would a wider track to alleviate higher cog be sufficient?
Thanks,
Benjamin

Yes the wider the spring placement the more stable a feeling for COG to some extent, sway bars could be added if you need more stability in offcamber stuff.

I would say though that the Portals plus a SOA is going to add a ton of hieght. The portals alone will be a good 4" inches lift depending on the axle. SOA with a portal will also have a ton of axle wrap because they act like a longer leverarm against the spring under power. I would seriously consider either mounting in a SUA configuration or look into a link type suspension to control axle wrap.

on that note... thinking Portals SUA... it would be best to have some sort of spring plate on the spring, and not just use square u-bolts pointing up, right? I'm thinking the clamping wouldn't be there....

I've never seen a SUA rig with a u-bolt "flip", putting the u-bolt plate above the axle.

[quote author=Eskimo link=board=12;threadid=4668;start=msg35790#msg35790 date=1062039049]
on that note... thinking Portals SUA... it would be best to have some sort of spring plate on the spring, and not just use square u-bolts pointing up, right? I'm thinking the clamping wouldn't be there....

I've never seen a SUA rig with a u-bolt "flip", putting the u-bolt plate above the axle.
[/quote]

I don't recall seeing SUA with square U-bolts, but have seen many SOA use square u-bolts with plates on the axle. I believe the rear of my chevy full size is like that. If it work SOA, I think it would SUA. The plates would have to be contured for the axle. I bet chevys flipped would work.

the u-bolts would have to be shapped differently too. sorta squared so they'd have good contact with the springs. i guess puttin a spring plate on there would help with this.

stupid question

but what are portals?

portal axles = those on either Unimog or Volvo trucks. The axle/center section align at approximately the top of the rim, and then a gear reduction system routes drive power down to the hub itself.

image35.jpg

...is of a Mog axle...note where the centerline of the axle itself is relative to the centerline of the outer hub. Mucho extra center clearance for the rocks and extra reduction for crawling.

oh, so portals are what i know as "hub reduction gears" ok. now i'm edjumecated,

Thanks guys,
I hadn't been able to follow my own post. So you think spring under would be better than spring over. I wonder if there are Volvo portals with offset rear and front differentials and what kind of r&p are available. Just think an h55f, a 4:1 crawler box, differential gearing and gear reduction hubs, ain't gittin nowhere fast! Time to do some research instead of just dreaming! Now off to search.
Where? How much? How big a tire can I run? Yee-ha!!!!
Later,
Benjamin

[quote author=mudduck link=board=12;threadid=4668;start=msg36922#msg36922 date=1062466727]
Thanks guys,
I hadn't been able to follow my own post. So you think spring under would be better than spring over. I wonder if there are Volvo portals with offset rear and front differentials and what kind of r&p are available. Just think an h55f, a 4:1 crawler box, differential gearing and gear reduction hubs, ain't gittin nowhere fast! Time to do some research instead of just dreaming! Now off to search.
Where? How much? How big a tire can I run? Yee-ha!!!!
Later,
Benjamin
[/quote]

The common Volvo portals are from c303s and they have a passenger drop front with a centered rear. From what I read they are spring under stock. The final ratio is about 7.1 from what I have read, but I don't know if there are different ratios.

I think Spring Under would be a good solution to control the axle, 4 link would be the best. The pics woody posted above is my rear suspension with MOG axles, a 4 link like that will hold the rotational torque unless a hiem or link goes.

They are harder to located than other portals because they were never on US build vehicles, so the axles must be imported. I am not certain what the market is getting currently but I would guess $1000 for a steer axle to be a smokin' deal.

From what I have read during my webwheelin' is that a 37-38 would be a good tire to run, much larger you should look into aftermarket upgrades. Though it would depend on the type and severity of wheeling.

Lastly, I did post a few links to vendors for Volvo Portal parts in the other Volvo portal thread.

Haven't been able to source portals yet. I have some feelers out but I gotta keep looking.
Later,
Benjamin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom