Pop Up Camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yup, I would be concerned to take our "road" popup on rough trails for very long with all the stuff banging around inside and the generally lightweight design. Not really meant for that. Washboards would pretty soon dismantle it into its basic components I would think....

Having already broken my axle in half / and ripped out the cabinets to re-screw and gorrila glue evreything back together - I would agree! The appliances will not hold up and the copper propane lines will twist and clog. All my appliances have been replaced - fridge = ARB / furnace = Olympian Catalytic / stove = Primus / stereo = Aiwa / toilet = fiamma ....all the crap that was installed broke. I now am very careful even on dirt roads...

Last edited:
NorCalDoug said:
Hey Ken,

A couple pics from the starcraft website...

Nice Doug -

Can not wait for a full post w/pic's on her!

Good Move!

After much searching and consideration I am going to order one of these for delivery in Spring '06...hopefully to be broken in on CM'06. I actually got to see one in person and they are truly designed by someone that uses them offroad...there really isn't anything I would change. Martyn, the company President/owner, is designing a different tent so that a large vestibule will be integral to the system for Spring delivery; based on the King size bed platform!

Anyway this is not a replacement for your pop-up tents...but a really tough, off-road....pull it anywhere you're LC will go kind of trailer...option.

www.adventuretrailers.com

spressomon said:
After much searching and consideration I am going to order one of these for delivery in Spring '06...hopefully to be broken in on CM'06. I actually got to see one in person and they are truly designed by someone that uses them offroad...there really isn't anything I would change. Martyn, the company President/owner, is designing a different tent so that a large vestibule will be integral to the system for Spring delivery; based on the King size bed platform!

Anyway this is not a replacement for your pop-up tents...but a really tough, off-road....pull it anywhere you're LC will go kind of trailer...option.

www.adventuretrailers.com
That's a nice trailer. There was one similar (more or less) at Surf-n-Turf this past weekend. A guy out of L.A. is building them for sale and to rent. I have a few pics of the trailer as it's set up -- I'll post them as soon as I get them off the camera.

freightdog said:
Having already broken my axle in half / and ripped out the cabinets to re-screw and gorrila glue evreything back together - I would agree! The appliances will not hold up and the copper propane lines will twist and clog. All my appliances have been replaced - fridge = ARB / furnace = Olympian Catalytic / stove = Primus / stereo = Aiwa / toilet = fiamma ....all the crap that was installed broke. I now am very careful even on dirt roads...
I have an 22' Artic Fox TT I beat the crap out of and it is holding up. But that's another story (if you want a full size trailer for back country use that is the rig).

We are planing to downsize to something we could tow with a Tacoma. A pop up tent trailer or camper would fill the bill. What I was wondering about was the porti potty. I have never delt with one, always been self contained, so I was wondering how much of a chore is dumping the PP? On my full size TT dumping the tanks is pretty easy/clean. Anyone have experience with both that could give me a comparision?

Last weekend SnT was the first time I used one and we really enjoyed it. Don't think I would ever purchase one but renting is a good option.

We rented a campusa camper from rover accessories in so. cal.
www.campausa.com
www.roveraccessories.com

Set up and take down were relatively easy for the first time. With a bit more experience it would be quite easy. We found it quite comfortable and appreciated having the loft area for sleeping.

No problems towing, the compact trailer was very stable. I would imagine the small towing size would make this very capable in many offroad excursions. I can't compare this to other campers as I have never used them. If you are in the market for a camper it's worth it to take a look.

-David...

silvercruiser said:
Last weekend SnT was the first time I used one and we really enjoyed it. Don't think I would ever purchase one but renting is a good option.

www.campausa.com
www.roveraccessories.com

Set up and take down were relatively easy for the first time. With a bit more experience it would be quite easy. We found it quite comfortable and appreciated having the loft area for sleeping.

No problems towing, the compact trailer was very stable. I would imagine the small towing size would make this very capable in many offroad excursions. I can't compare this to other campers as I have never used them. If you are in the market for a camper it's worth it to take a look.

-David...

how did you raise the tent section up? seemed like it was on stilts of sorts. Not that heavy?

Not sure exactly how the mechanism works but it seems as if the supports are spring loaded. You pull the pins out and give a slight push and the tent section pops up. Pulling down takes a little more effort but it can be done solo.

silvercruiser said:

www.campausa.com
www.roveraccessories.com

-David...

I did a quick walk-through of this camper. I was quite impressed with the quality and all the thought that went into this trailer. Very nice. I'm sure it won't be inexpensive, but it sure would be nice to have for the rougher trails.

What...no Scamps?! :D

Seriously, I wouldn't take it on a difficult backwoods trail if that's what you guys plan to do, though I have taken it on some pretty rough roads. You just gotta go real slow. IMO, the real advantage to a one-piece (i.e., not a pop-up) is twofold: you don't have to set it up when you get to the site (important if it's really late or bad weather), and if it rains when you take the pop-up down, you don't have to set it back up at home to let it dry out. Storage inside the pop-ups is also a hassle if you use it (you have to set it up to put stuff in, then take it down to tow, and do the opposite on the way home). The key disadvantages are airflow when towing--it certainly has a greater cross-section--and size; the pop-ups can have a lot more room in them when fully extended (nice).

I am a big fan of the adventure trailer. They are working on some improvements that will be a first for the US market. They will compete head to head with some of the finest from Australia.

The key features are electric brakes, 19 gallon water storage, fuel storage and stout tool boxes and kitchen. You can just leave it packed and ready to roll.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

I should have one for a full test soon, and will report back on the performance. It will work great behind the Trooper and Jeep.

expeditionswest said:
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

I should have one for a full test soon, and will report back on the performance. It will work great behind the Trooper and Jeep.

I will be interested in your report - been lookin at that website for quite sometime - but want an Eezi-Awn on top...

Look forward to hearing about it - :grinpimp:

I have a old hard side Apache pop up I like this better than the canvas type they run between 1200-2500 for most model. I also think there is a company in CO that builts hard side pop up to specs.

I have one for sale on MUDbay. I hate to get rid of it. Even though we do not use it much, it sure is nice to know it is in the backyard whenever you get ready to go camping. However, I have a baby that will be here in 26 days. Not to mention the money will go a long way towards finishing my 40.
It is very easy to tow and set up. We pulled it with the 80 and had no problems.
Basically, pop ups are just like having a tent on wheels with AC, sink, stove, storage cabinets, and 3 big beds. It is very nice to sleep up off the ground.
It rained HARD one night at GSMTR. It sure was dry in the pop up.

silvercruiser said:

www.campausa.com
www.roveraccessories.com

-David...

After SnT I became really interested in this trailer. I've since gotten a pricing list for the thing. They start at $7,300 and go up from there with options like the tent, water tanks, etc. The thing I found interesting is that they are made for the track of the vehicle. Also they are made to use the same rims as the vehicle so you can have more spares. The one thing I'm not able to find out is if it can accomidate a 35" tire.

There also seem to be 3 or 4 options in tents including the Technitop which I already have.

So David, how did the kitchen work out? Also there was a sink was there not? Did it drain as well and was the water presured by a pump?

What I (and my wife) really would like a trailer that was pretty much a kitchen on wheels; sink and all.

Congratulations on the kid, Brent!

Sorry you and Joe couldn't make it to the annual Quintrell Cabin run this summer. Lookin forward to MLK '06 though.

:cheers:

cruiserdawg said:
I have one for sale on MUDbay. I hate to get rid of it. Even though we do not use it much, it sure is nice to know it is in the backyard whenever you get ready to go camping. However, I have a baby that will be here in 26 days. Not to mention the money will go a long way towards finishing my 40.
It is very easy to tow and set up. We pulled it with the 80 and had no problems.
Basically, pop ups are just like having a tent on wheels with AC, sink, stove, storage cabinets, and 3 big beds. It is very nice to sleep up off the ground.
It rained HARD one night at GSMTR. It sure was dry in the pop up.

camper trailer

Darwood said:
After SnT I became really interested in this trailer. I've since gotten a pricing list for the thing. They start at $7,300 and go up from there with options like the tent, water tanks, etc. The thing I found interesting is that they are made for the track of the vehicle. Also they are made to use the same rims as the vehicle so you can have more spares. The one thing I'm not able to find out is if it can accomidate a 35" tire.

There also seem to be 3 or 4 options in tents including the Technitop which I already have.

So David, how did the kitchen work out? Also there was a sink was there not? Did it drain as well and was the water presured by a pump?

What I (and my wife) really would like a trailer that was pretty much a kitchen on wheels; sink and all.

Once I figured out how to use the sink it was a great feature. The water tank becomes pressurized and you can access 4 different water outlets scattered around the trailer. Also, the interior lighting in the tent was a great feature.

The fold out kitchen was great. It comes with all the utensils, glassses, plates for 6 people. I also like the additional fold out table that is stored quite neatly in the trailer. Like I said it worked out great for us and I would rent one again. Don't think I could pull the trigger on buying one... they are a bit pricey. The adventure trailers look a little more rugged and offroad capable. Are the prices similar?

Let me know if you have any more questions...

cheers,
David...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom