Poll - Any interest for a Part Time 4WD kit from Marks4WD (1 Viewer)

If a kit were available (from Marks4WD), would you convert your GX to Part Time 4WD?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fuel savings would be the main goal here - curious if anyone else has ever wanted this.

I emailed Marks4WD earlier this year and all I was told is that one isn't available (which I already knew from their website). I almost bought one of these kits when I still had my '92 but ultimately, that wasn't the right long-drive rig for me despite how much I loved that truck (hence moving to the GX).

Let the chatter begin....cheers!

I looked into it then got an LRA tank and got the gearing and maintenance and the nomad valve body with the torque lockup and now I don't care anymore.

I can lock up the TCC on the highway and drain the 55 gallons and get around 700-1000 miles range depending on terrain on 37s at 7000# so I no longer want part time haha

Would such a kit retain the Torsen center differential and factory console? Better towing mpg would be great but i love the AWD setup on gravel/snow/wet roads, and wouldn't want to hack up the console.

The front driveshaft still turns. Would be minimal gains. You can do this by swapping FJ transfer case. Much cheaper and readily available.

Working on aerodynamic and low rolling resistance tire would net much better MPG gain.
Harry Wagner is doing experiment between SL and LT E rated tire in same 285/70R17 and notice 1.5 MPG difference.

The front driveshaft still turns. Would be minimal gains. You can do this by swapping FJ transfer case. Much cheaper and readily available.

Working on aerodynamic and low rolling resistance tire would net much better MPG gain.
Harry Wagner is doing experiment between SL and LT E rated tire in same 285/70R17 and notice 1.5 MPG difference.

I hadn't seen this previously but Mark's own testimony for this kit (for the 80 series): "The fuel consumption in my vehicle improved by at least 5%, while other people reported as much as 10%.".....so, you're right - minimal gains.

Thanks for the update above, both good considerations (esp. since I'm due for new tires in the next year).

I hadn't seen this previously but Mark's own testimony for this kit (for the 80 series): "The fuel consumption in my vehicle improved by at least 5%, while other people reported as much as 10%.".....so, you're right - minimal gains.

Thanks for the update above, both good considerations (esp. since I'm due for new tires in the next year).
5-10% is big gain of that is true. They probably include front locking hubs. Without front disconnect it would be much less improvement.

Looks like the 80 series kit removes the AWD feature. Hard pass for me as the AWD is a great feature for how I use my GX.

Before you do a part time kit, pull the front driveshaft, lock the CDL and take the truck for a drive - it changes the on-road dynamics significantly and you may not like it.

On fuel consumption, in my experience it makes absolutely no difference. If you want to do burnouts, it's a good mod. If you like how it drives as a RWD, it's a good mod. Otherwise, don't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom