Polishing OEM wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled the spare off the cruiser. Looks like it was the first time it has ever been removed. The clear coat is flaking in places and exposed surface has chalky corrosion. Thinking about trying to polish it out just to see what it will look like. Has anyone tried polishing their wheels? If so, what did you use and how did it turn out?

Well Jenny this may sould crazy ... but just use REG coke acola and sos.. on the none finished parts and just cola and elbow grease ..soulds weired I know but it works Iike a dam....

"Never Dull" which is in the store next to the wood polish etc, or in the car wax area Egale 1 has the exact same stuff label for cars. It's for the bare metal but will clean the clear coat also. Follow up with a compond or somthing like "Scratch Out" with a pad on the drill. The wheel should come out great.

I think i used turtle wax chrome polisher. Cheep and it works.

You have not addressed the original issue. Failing clearcoat will not be fixed by any wax or cleaning compound. The wheels will need to be stripped and refinished.

That makes sense. Clean it first. Wax, polish. If not satisfied strip, clean, and clear coat.

i ended up bead blasting the wheels and having them powder coated a grey metalic, came out real nice.... and i had it done for $25 per wheel... (i did the bead blasting)

dan

I think I might look into having all five media blasted to remove the clear completely and go from there. Hopefully, it's not too expensive.

took me almost 10 hours to do 7 of the rims.... course 2 of them were chrome and i blasted all the chrome off... the clearcoated ones only took an hours each give or take 15min. but all of mine were badly corroded .... and i mean BADLY!!!

good luck

dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom