Point Broke, Billybongo's HZJ75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from a soon to be 70 series owner!
It was a terrible re-make, but the 2015 version of Point Break had a couple of bright spots; great footage of monster surf at Tehapu, and a short chase scene featuring a LHD 1990 Troopy.
Alcon Productions brought 2 of these in for filming, model them with an interior rollcage, 2 racing seats and 5 point seat belt harnesses. One was totalled in a roll over scene in the movie, the remaining cruiser went up for auction. That's where I come in, with a heads up from a fellow TLCA member on a FB post, I followed and bid on the auction. I really thought it would be out of my reach, what a rush to actually be the high bidder and be awarded a the lot!
I hope to fly to LA this week and drive it home

Pt Break HZJ.jpg

H5574-L92188881.jpg

H5574-L91874610.jpg

Sweet! You'll have the only race-prepped Troopy around! What engine/trans does it have?

Interesting gauge cluster from an Aussie point of view
Do you still have your 63 fixedtop?
Yes the 45 sits needing some attention. I don't have the heart to modernize it, but 53 year old technology and near impossible to find parts seems to be it's demise. If I decide to sell, I'll give my Mud family first dibs

Haven't seen the movie, but that is a great story behind the acquisition and history of the vehicle.

Great find! I hope you aid less than I did. The engine looks like a 1HD-T. Look at the frame plate for the specs.

Great find! I hope you aid less than I did. The engine looks like a 1HD-T. Look at the frame plate for the specs.

Pretty sure thats a 1HZ, the air intake goes straight from the filter canister to the intake manifold - no turbo.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the engine is a 1PZ, (the 5 cylinder little brother of the 1HZ) you can tell by the intake manifold in the engine picture, it is not semetrical front to back, because the 1PZ has only 2 cylinders in front of the cross over tube vs 3 for the 1HZ.

Still a great buy, what are your plans for it?

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the engine is a 1PZ, (the 5 cylinder little brother of the 1HZ) you can tell by the intake manifold in the engine picture, it is not semetrical front to back, because the 1PZ has only 2 cylinders in front of the cross over tube vs 3 for the 1HZ.

Ah, you're right. The distance between the crossover tube and the oil filler cap is much shorter than on a 1HZ too. I didn't know you could get a Troopy with a 1PZ. That really won't be winning any races!

bet you bottom the rear axle/diff casing is scuffed up….

bet you bottom the rear axle/diff casing is scuffed up….
There were 2 purchased for the filming, I'll confirm the scuffs when I get it, thanks for the link to the Italian spotting.

If so is it a PZJ75?

More towards the expedition/wanderer end of spectrum. The wife likes to hunt wildflowers, I like getting out and meeting new cruiserheads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom