Plumber recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We just had our water softener company by and they informed us that our water heater is 13 years old and should replace sooner than later, also our water pressure is too high.

So I am looking for recommendations on a company or private individual to install a pressure reducing valve and get quotes on install of tank less water heater.

We are located in Gilbert.

Are you on a corner lot? Weird that your pressure would be that much of an issue, what problem is this causing? Also, is your plumbing copper or pex?

Are you on a corner lot? Weird that your pressure would be that much of an issue, what problem is this causing? Also, is your plumbing copper or pex?
It is copper, the original they built the house with. The water softener is plumbed with pex and copper.

We are not a corner lot, the pressure has measured at 81 PSI, I was told the standard is 78 PSI. But with the age of the house I would like to be safer than sorry.

Just an FYI, most tankless water heaters are 220v. Make sure you have room in your panel, and factor in an electrician if you can't do that yourself.

I'd just throw in a new water heater. It's relativity easy to do yourself. That's the route I went.

Jim

Just an FYI, most tankless water heaters are 220v. Make sure you have room in your panel, and factor in an electrician if you can't do that yourself.

I'd just throw in a new water heater. It's relativity easy to do yourself. That's the route I went.

Jim
Was not aware of that, thank you for the heads up.

Was not aware of that, thank you for the heads up.

Jim

I would agree with this advice. I would just put in another tank heater. I have had horrible luck with Home Depot Rheem water heaters, I believe Lowe’s sells AO Smith, I would probably try that if it is an option. Between my rental property and my home, I have had to install 5 Rheem water heaters in the past 5 years. They have been warranted, so I have been stuck in that ecosystem, ugh.
Tankless water heaters have issues, and be mindful that water softeners will pull minerals out of copper over time and cause leaks. It takes a while, so if you are short term in a home you own or a rental, no issue, but if you own and plan to stay long term, beware.

80psi is actually the max water pressure for a house. I would not worry if it is 81. if you have a water pressure regulator, then just adjust the water pressure

Check the water heater to see if there is rust spots or water leak marks. if its not leaking dont change it

I've lived in several houses with tankless water heaters. All had natural gas available. They're awesome. As stated above, installing an electrical tankless requires upgrading your panel typically. We currently have a heat pump water heater.

For a plumber, I've been really happy with our guy. He completely installed new plumbing when we remodeled our house a couple years ago and is currently doing the plumbing on a garage/Casita project. I'll send his info in a pm.

Thought your water pressure was much higher than recommended. I would get a gauge that fits a hose bib and monitor the pressure. Just one reading a little high wouldn't be that concerned.

Is your current water heater gas or electric. Gas would be concerned with the age. Electric inspection the bottom of the tank thru the lower heating element. My cabin's water heater is over thirty years old. While a pain I have cleaned the bottom of the tank a few times. Easier that replacing the tank. Gas once it gets a build up at the bottom of the tank the insulates the flames from the burner getting to the water. In the end metal over heats and cracks.

Thought your water pressure was much higher than recommended. I would get a gauge that fits a hose bib and monitor the pressure. Just one reading a little high wouldn't be that concerned.

Is your current water heater gas or electric. Gas would be concerned with the age. Electric inspection the bottom of the tank thru the lower heating element. My cabin's water heater is over thirty years old. While a pain I have cleaned the bottom of the tank a few times. Easier that replacing the tank. Gas once it gets a build up at the bottom of the tank the insulates the flames from the burner getting to the water. In the end metal over heats and cracks.
Thank you for the information. It is a gas water heater, I will look into what you were talking about.

When I looked into a gas tankless heater I was going to need to increase the size of my gas line from the meter to the water heater to 3/4” to 1” depending on which unit I was going to install. I realized I didn’t have a $3,000 hot water issue pretty quickly.

My water heater is 20 years old and is still just fine. If yours is a self cleaning type, 13 years is no issue. If it does not have a drain/catch pan, install one when you put the new water heater in.

The water pressure at my Phoenix house was 98psi. The house was built in 1981 and we lived there for 7.5 years with no issues. I like pressure washer style showers

I had Wyman Plumbing and Mechanical out several months ago for an emergency water leak. They were great and I’ll contact them again when the time comes.

Here's another Home Despot Rheem electric water heater story; rental house water heater reported as a problem. Loud popping (*described as firecrackers going off in the wall). I figure it's just sediment in the bottom of the tank has concluded the lower heating element, and the air bubbles boiling off. I drop by HD and pick up a replacement of the same type as last time. Last replacement was 10yrs ago, with a 10 year warranty...

Get there and unload, power it back up, and BANG! Sparks flying out of the wall connection. Here's what I found there:
34641.jpeg

Over time, the circuit resistance caused the wire nuts to melt, shorting out one of the legs to ground! Got that fixed up with better materials and clean splices, and figured it was prudent just to replace the heater anyway, since it had been 10 years, it's a rental house, and I don't want calls in the middle of the night.

The renter and I plumbed in the replacement, rolled the old one out to the curb, and I applied water pressure. As the tank filled, once the water level got up to the lower heating element, the seal started leaking. I shut it all down, pulled the lower heating element, and whoever put it in didn't lube the gasket and wrapped the sealing ring around the element threads...

Another trip to HD. And come to find out they don't just sell the sealing gasket without selling you a heating element, too. At least now I have a spare if I ever need one.

So far, going strong. Rheem sets their manufacturer warranty on the length of the anode rode inside the heater. Depending on use and water hardness, the warranty ends up pretty close to failure of the anode, followed by a tank hole, but nobody ever changes anode rods, do they?

I have had horrible luck with these HD Rheem water heaters. Rental property new water heater lasted 1 1/2 years then failed, replaced under warranty by me, now on third year with replacement and hoping to get another 6 months.
My primary home, I am on my third Rheem in 4 years. In all fairness the second one leaked internally on day one, so swapped it out the same day and now have about two weeks on latest install. I am kind of stuck in the HD/Rheem warranty ecosystem. If any of these make it past warranty I will not replace with another Rheem.

Tankless electric take two 40amp dual breakers on average and the run of power is at least #8 if not the larger #6. You must flush them 1-2 times per year with vinegar to descale them depending on water hardness. Mine is in coat closet, is 5" deep and 18" x 18". Requires no fresh air nor exhaust venting like gas.

If looking into a new electric look for an energy saver version to get a credit w power company or federal income filing.

That said, 13 year old water heater is not bad. You can shut off and drain to get the scale out which most owners never do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom