Plow Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I fabbed up this plow setup, I got some help from fellow board members...so I figured i'd put up a couple pics of my setup to help anybody else in the future. Next time i'm up north, I will get some more detailed shots of the final result installed on the truck if there is any interest.

Here's some pics of the bracketry...
tn_10-28-08_2014.jpg
tn_10-28-08_2015.jpg
tn_10-28-08_2016.jpg

couple more...
tn_11-12-08_1851.jpg
tn_p1040243.jpg

that looks great! got any pics of how it mounts under the front end ?

Looks pretty stout....

I would add some x bracing if possible.... alot of force is generated to the sides when pushing wet snow
some bracing like you did up front would help IMO.
Same concept as a roll cage/

needs more triangulation : )
tn_10-28-08_2014.jpg

Last edited:
Are you mounting to your rear brackets with 1/2 in bolts? In my experience, these will shear under normal force (I don't get crazy with my plowing, but have sheared plenty of grade 8 1/2 inchers.

I agree with Bennett about the triangulation, but your setup looks pretty good. Our rigs (Bennett's and mine) have Warn set-ups with a 6 inch piece of channel iron running from the plow mount in front to a rear frame-mounted crossmember......and both of our channels are bent from the forces generated.

You can look up my thread to see what I'm doing right now with a new mounting system......just search "snow plow" and it'll come up......

That looks real nice. Looks like it would be a lot easier to get on and off than some. Only thing I'd be worried about is high centering unless you are only on pavement.

that looks great! got any pics of how it mounts under the front end ?

If you look at the first three pictures, you can see on the very bottom (top when mounted) that there is a plate welded on each side. The bumper of the truck is a 2"x4"x1/4" steel tube. The plates are bolted to the front of the bumper using two 1" bolts on each side. I will get better pics next time I get up to the cottage...

Looks pretty stout....

I would add some x bracing if possible.... alot of force is generated to the sides when pushing wet snow
some bracing like you did up front would help IMO.
Same concept as a roll cage/

needs more triangulation : )

I definitely thought of that. Those heavy pieces of angle iron were from the original mounting setup (j**p J10) and that was all there was for bracing on the back side. I worried about weakening it with the small bend, but all the steel is perfectly straight after a year of plowing. I figured i'd put something in there if we had any issues but...knock on wood! I think the front end of the sub-frame is stronger than I ever thought it would be.

Are you mounting to your rear brackets with 1/2 in bolts? In my experience, these will shear under normal force (I don't get crazy with my plowing, but have sheared plenty of grade 8 1/2 inchers.

I agree with Bennett about the triangulation, but your setup looks pretty good. Our rigs (Bennett's and mine) have Warn set-ups with a 6 inch piece of channel iron running from the plow mount in front to a rear frame-mounted crossmember......and both of our channels are bent from the forces generated.

You can look up my thread to see what I'm doing right now with a new mounting system......just search "snow plow" and it'll come up......

The bolts on the back side are 3/4". They go through a removable piece of tube that bolts in between the channel that sticks out for the body mount. Like I commented above to Bennett, I think that the front half is taking way more punishment than I anticipated. It kind of surprised me that the angle iron was all that came off the heap, but it is some seriously thick stuff. Gave me a lot of trouble when I notched and bent it! Sorry I started this thread without searching first...I just remembered that when I started mine there wasn't much info out there!

That looks real nice. Looks like it would be a lot easier to get on and off than some. Only thing I'd be worried about is high centering unless you are only on pavement.

You got that right...through every step of the design process, I kept thinking "how can I make this part disappear in the summer"! The entire setup can be installed by one man in less than two hours. I did it this year with a buddy and it took longer to tune the cable controls than it did to install everything!
As for high-centering, the subframe goes completely under the axle and is definitely NOT winter-wheelin friendly! :frown::D

cruiser user said:
Absolutely the best plow frame on a 40!!!! Love the plow teeth!!!!

My dad and I built this setup...most of the design was my idea and we fabbed it together. He's kinda nerdy so I had to let him put the teeth on there! The teeth are surplus 3M reflective tape...it looks badass at night! You should have seen how happy he was when I zip-tied Buzz Lighyear to the hood hoop! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom