please school me on SMOG! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help with a stupid smog pump.
Ive never really had to deal with one till now. Where does the suck side go and where does the blow side go. Blow to the air cleaner and suck to the rail or the other way around????? Im lost here. I searched evrywhere here and no threads on smog pump hose routing....
Please help.

It's called an "Air Injection" system, and it blows air into the air rail at the exhaust manifold, and into the tail pipe just before the cat. Suction to the pump comes from filtered air from the air cleaner. The air pump outlet is connected to the AI valve assembly mounted on the left side (drivers side, US) fender. Hoses from the valve assembly go: to the air rail, to the exhaust pipe, and back to the unfiltered side of the air cleaner (air bypass).
air injection parts.JPG

Thats retarded!
all its doing is blowing fresh air in the exhaust?.... wouldnt that be the same emissions just spread out over a bigger area or milage?

Thats retarded!
all its doing is blowing fresh air in the exhaust?.... wouldnt that be the same emissions just spread out over a bigger area or milage?

The catalytic converter needs oxygen from air to do it's job and convert the smog gases to less noxious ones. The AI system provides that oxygen. You can read all about it in the emissions manual that Spike posted.

smog pump.

A devise that is also known as a air pump. Its intended purpous is to send pressurized air into the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts the NOX also known as a oxides of nitrogen into harmless gases.

In other words, pressurized air from pump to cat or air rail.

Do they even check emissions in Alaska?

No, they dont!....only in scankorage.

Utah does have emissions, where I may register my 40.

Thanks for the major schooling to SPIKE STRIP. Glad to have that..:clap:

Is there any reason for registering your 40 in Utah over Alaska?

If I were you I would register it up there and do a full desmog, just to simplify the engine bay.

Is there any reason for registering your 40 in Utah over Alaska?

If I were you I would register it up there and do a full desmog, just to simplify the engine bay.

Or just yank the dumb 2f and drop in a vortec....oh yes stevo...5.3!!!!

sounds better than a desmog dont it?

Or just yank the dumb 2f and drop in a vortec....oh yes stevo...5.3!!!!

sounds better than a desmog dont it?

Yeah, that does sound better. I wasn't sure if you were gonna run the stock engine for a while or not.

If you are planning on doing the swap later it would be worth it to buy or download the emissions FSM.

If you are gonna do the swap right away then have at it.

actually thinking of desmog and running on a temporary till i get the vortec. That will give me a month to feel out the desmogged dumb-F.
Time to rip that crap out of there.

Its a lot nicer, I have a partial desmog on mine. My egr system was clogged and my air pump was starting to go.

It was one of the first things I did. I could feel the throttle response improvement.

I actually have a customers fj40 in my shop...we did a trollhole carb desmog on it...IT RIPS! It spins second gear to a chirp. I have never felt a 2f that powerful.

Its still a 2f though.

Nice. I always liked the torque the 2F had.
The Cummins has a little bit more though, plus twice the efficiency. And a turbo.
The 5.3 should be really nice in the 40 when you get around to it.

I still have a soft spot for the 2f...it got me around the globe a few times...They do have great low end torque.

demog the 2f its way better. Just remember to cut the piece of the exhaust that the fresh air is sent into, or oh boy does it smell like gas! I get better gas mileage and the engine response is noticeably different. I'm a fan of KISS (keep it simple stupid).

oh and not to thread jack, but has anyone ever measured the cfms that the air pump puts out? I wonder how much it is and weather or not it could be used to boost the amount of air into the motor like a pseudo-supercharger.

Thats retarded!

:lol:that was my first thought as well...I know that the cat needs o2 to do it's reaction thing, but what is the reasoning/excuse for AIR on a pre cat truck? Huuuuuh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom