Please convince me to keep my 80.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You've probably already penciled it out, but mine are paid off also, and because of that it is very difficult to justify purchasing a new car with better economy. The fuel savings would have to be massive to offset taking on a payment, and that also means some little 4 seat tin can. Some arrangements like the $600 Camry would definitely work out financially - that was a good move.

In the middle would be selling the Cruiser for the $6k or whatever it's worth with fuel prices like they are and buying something for the cash to have no payments again. I'm sure that's what you're thinking of and surprisingly you can get a pretty nice car for that for DD. Since you have a big SUV for a safe family tank, an ability to tow, and an ability to car pool I'd consider going full on and getting a super economy DD with side airbags if possible.

We have two 80s and I've penciled it out. What I'm planning to do is wait until diesel SUV Toyotas are available here in the US because then the fuel savings WILL be radical (from my current 13mpg to as much as a 30mpg rig) and make the purchase worth it. Should be about 2 years.

I'd consider a 4 cylinder stick shift BMW 3 series, or an automatic Mercedes E class with square headlamps as good reliable safe economical transport. Dunno if you can do a driver's seat track extender for your carcass, tho.....:)

DougM

I need an 80. I have four kids and take them rock crawling. All four are aboard in this pic from this weekend. Nothing like wheeling on mud covered ice on a reasonably difficult trail with 3, 4, 8, & 9 year old plus :princess:. My three year old girl says to me "Dad, I HATE this". She was all smiles by the end of the day. See, I *need* an 80.

I was born and raised in Northern VA. You don't need an 80 in NOVA, but it sure would be fun for beach trips and that wheeling you guys do at construction sites at night :flipoff2:

Yes, though had he bought a 100 instead of a Seq he could have run the trail in your pic and had a family DD. I wonder if he thought that angle over?

In the middle would be selling the Cruiser for the $6k or whatever it's worth with fuel prices like they are and buying something for the cash to have no payments again. I'm sure that's what you're thinking of and surprisingly you can get a pretty nice car for that for DD.

This is a great plan if you are looking to save money. Take the cash from the Cruiser and buy an economy car for the same money.

My '97 LC is not a daily driver. I love it but drive almost 20k miles / year. My DD is an '01 Saturn that is paid for and gets 35mpg. The Cruiser would cost about $3k/year more than the Saturn to put the full 20k miles on.

The only way the math works for me is to use the Cruiser as a 3rd vehicle.

Where in VA are you headed?

The 80 especially modded and lifted is quite handy in traffic, at least around NOVA. One thing I can definately vouch for is that you will go somewhat insane without an 80 to drive. It just sorta leaves one feeling as though there is a void in their being. You could probably get the 80 transported for $1200 to the East Coast so as not to have to worry about the logistics if that helps at all.

I do like how the 80 handles in traffic, but I DDed a Camry in socal for awhile, so I know that it is doable. I do really enjoy the 80, and when I have the choice to take the Seq or the 80 by myself, I ALWAYS choose the 80....(unless it is low on gas)..

Keep your 80 as there will never be anything else like it. It's paid for and you will use it in VA.

Now, you mentioned wishing you had a new vehicle and a wheeler. The Seq is not a wheeler. Did you not consider a 100 instead of the Seq? You'd a had both in one package and then could have justified selling the 80?

The 100 doesn't have the 2nd row room of the sequoia, the sliding third row, or the extra room behind the third row. Getting a 100 would have been like losing 20 pounds and doing an IFS swap.....

I would keep the 80 and pick up a gas sipper. I just bought a 1990 Camry with 129k miles with new tires for $600. It runs like new, drives great and gets 27 mpg. Best part is insurance is $25 per month! Within 6 months the car would have paid for itself and will be saving me money...

This is a good plan, but doesn't help with the logistics of getting three vehicles to VA. I already sent the T on vacation to CA to avoid having to move it, and I will only have a 10 minute commute in VA--if the 80 goes to VA, I am keeping it.

One of the best justifications of an 80 I've read in a long time. Well said.

:cheers:

Sell your 80 Kliers. You are a Sequoia guy.

:flipoff2:

Not funny:flipoff2: Every family vacation we go to an out of the way spot out in the middle of nowhere, the other folks have to park about 1/4 mile away from the river because of a steep rocky bank. I have never seen anyone drive down to the water but me. Every time we exit, I tell my wife "we couldn't do this in a Sequoia......"

In the middle would be selling the Cruiser for the $6k or whatever it's worth with fuel prices like they are and buying something for the cash to have no payments again. I'm sure that's what you're thinking of and surprisingly you can get a pretty nice car for that for DD. Since you have a big SUV for a safe family tank, an ability to tow, and an ability to car pool I'd consider going full on and getting a super economy DD with side airbags if possible.

I'd consider a 4 cylinder stick shift BMW 3 series, or an automatic Mercedes E class with square headlamps as good reliable safe economical transport. Dunno if you can do a driver's seat track extender for your carcass, tho.....:)

DougM

This was my plan exactly--I have no intention of getting a payment from this.

Good points all for the most part and I appreciate the input. At this point, the limiting factor seems to be if I can trailer the 80. If so, I am keeping it, if not, I am buying something that I can trailer to VA......

Thanks Folks!

Dan (off to call budget....)

The 100 doesn't have the 2nd row room of the sequoia, the sliding third row, or the extra room behind the third row. Getting a 100 would have been like losing 20 pounds and doing an IFS swap.....

Yes, the 100 is smaller though it would have provided him with a dual-use vehicle.

I do like how the 80 handles in traffic, but I DDed a Camry in socal for awhile, so I know that it is doable. I do really enjoy the 80, and when I have the choice to take the Seq or the 80 by myself, I ALWAYS choose the 80....(unless it is low on gas)..

you didn't say where in VA you are going?

I am also proud of my 80. I got "chills" reading your description of your affinity for the LC. This is the addiction. It is very much shared.

Van

I've kicked this thought around for a while. One thing remains...the cruiser is PAID FOR. Any money spent driving her is the monthly payment of a newer more economical car that would/could replace her. I enjoy working on the cruiser, I enjoy driving the cruiser, my chest swells with pride at the number of people that say "I love those, what year...."

There is just something about that "I drive a LandCruiser" phrase that makes me happy. I love just knowing she is in my driveway right now ready and willing to do ANYTHING I want...drag a stump out of the ground...pull cars out of ditchs...drive through heavy rain like a train on rails, plow through mud and water puddles, intimidate little civics that think they should be in the lane the CRUISAH is in.

I love the room inside it, and the fact that it is much more rugged. I'd hate to go back to a "Oh no, not the carpet" type car. Underpowered, slow, fuel guzzling, but the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I wash it, touch it, talk to it, look at it, and think about it more than my Lexus. There is nothing in my life (except my wife) that I think about more. I work it into conversations, I read the forums twice a day, I daydream about preventitive maintenance, and I realish it.

I love grabbing the mountain bikes and throwing them inside just to head out for a drive to our favorite trails. I love my ARB because it says "GO AHEAD...PULL OUT...SUCKAH..." I love popping my front end up on curbs when pulling into parking spots...just because I can. I love running over shoulders to get into turn lanes because the traffic was backed up.

I love people that drive newer cars than mine breaking their necks just to get a good look at my big white 80. I love that when I put my blinker on people let me over more in the 80 than in the Lexus. I think that has to do with respect.

I love just sitting under the 80 on a crawler just staring at the beefy suspension parts.

When I die....bury me in my 80.:steer:

When it all comes down to keep or sell...it is harder to get one, than to keep one.

This is an addiction, and thankfully my wife caught it too...when we think about new to us cars...SHE brings up buying another cruiser.

I start searching...calling...and pleading. In my area they sell too fast to even go look at one, and after owning one and working on it to get it JUST to where I LOOOOVE it...I am very picky.

I look at it like having a hot wife...what ever would come into my stable has to be a 12.5 to my 10 in hand.

The idea of selling and on day trying to find another would be soiled with the fond memories of my BIG OLE' BABY!:cheers:

Aargh.......

Budget said no go on the trailer so......

Traded for an 02 Camry

The salesman couldn't believe it either......

I am having serious withdrawals....

How much did they give you for the cruiser?

7k...

Sorry to hear that Dan,
While I had to laugh at the suggestion of anyone to tell YOU of all people to put a cruiser on a uhaul trailer, I respect what you are doing. If you make it to Virginia by July and need a fix, I will be glad to let you run with me in the 40 at CMCC.
Dave

Sorry to hear that Dan,
While I had to laugh at the suggestion of anyone to tell YOU of all people to put a cruiser on a uhaul trailer, I respect what you are doing. If you make it to Virginia by July and need a fix, I will be glad to let you run with me in the 40 at CMCC.
Dave

If I have the time I'll take you up on that one...

Thanks Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom