Platoro Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While re-reading 'Ghost Towns of the Colorado Rockies' by Robert Brown, 1968 and 'The Colorado Pass Book' by Don Koch, 1987 I saw references to the Colorado towns of; Platoro, Stunner, Summitville and Jasper along with references to Stunner and Elwood Passes.

These places are in the southern San Juan mountains and I had never visited the area. Decided to make a recon run and check out the area with the hope the aspen trees were putting on a show. We decided to stay in a cabin at Platoro. Typically we would sleep in the back of the FJ60 but Platoro is at 9,800 ft and it's late in the year so we decided to sleep indoors. In conversation with the resort owner I learned fuel is not available in Platoro. The closet gas station is in Antonito CO which is 45 miles one way. So I decided to carry 5 gal of gas along.

We approached Platoro from the south via Hwy 17. North of Cumbres CO hwy 17 intersects FR250 which leads to Platoro. There are nice commercial campgrounds and a Forest Service camp near this intersection. At this point the Conejos River parallels Hwy 17. FR250 is a maintained gravel road and it's 22 miles from Hwy 17 to Platoro. The Conejos parallels 250 up the valley.

Platoro was a mining town. Now there are three small resorts with cabins and RV pads along with several summer cabins.

The next day we drove to Mix Lake and the Platoro Reservoir which are a couple of miles above Platoro. From there we took FR250 to FR380 and continued over a divide and down to Hwy 160 which was about 36 miles from Platoro. FR380 is a maintained gravel road. One lane in spots and it gets up to 11,000 ft elev. The scenery was outstanding. There are 13,000 ft peaks in the area and a lot of color in the rocks.

We then took 160 to Del Norte and fueled. Then took FR 14 back up into the mountains then turned on FR 330. This route passes the ghost town of Summitville which is at 11,500 ft. The mining area is undergoing remediation. From 330 turned off on 380 to 250 and back to Platoro. This route, Del Norte to Platoro was 48 miles.

Left for home the following day via a different route; FR 250 to Jasper then Terrace Reservoir where we turned on "The Canyon Road" which leads to Hwy 15, then Hwy 160 to Alamosa which was 66 miles. From there back to Raton.

Notes:

--Per a 19 year area resident the aspens usually peak in mid September - never saw them this late.

--I give the scenery an 8 of 10. Only downside was a lot of beetle kill.

--I'd call the routes we took a trail ride - never put it in 4WD. Did not run it but Elwood Pass is a 4WD route with water crossings.

--There are a lot of out/back side roads along the route.

--Along the routes we took dispersed camping is prohibited on the south side of the divide.

--No gas or diesel in Platoro but there are seasonal cafes and groceries.

--Locals told me not much 4WD recreation traffic but occasionally a gang of Razor ATV types show up and do their obnoxious thing.

--Very popular with anglers and hunters.

Along FR 250 below Platoro:
IMG_3078.JPG

Platoro from 250:
IMG_3095.JPG

Just above Platoro. Mix Lake (Platoro Res is in the valley behind Mix). Klondike Mtn in distance:
IMG_3093.JPG

From FR 250 Lookout Mtn and FS Stunner Campground loop road visible in valley:
IMG_3098.JPG

Shinzel Flats from FR 380:
IMG_3108.JPG

Last edited:
More photos:

Obligatory vehicle photo:
IMG_3111.JPG

Near Summitville:
IMG_3117.JPG

Highly mineralized:
IMG_3120.JPG

Last edited:
Still more......

Below Terrace Reservoir along "The Canyon Road", back into the high desert of the San Louis Valley.
IMG_3123.JPG

Along "The Canyon Road"
IMG_3125.JPG

Band of aspen on Lobo Peak above Questa NM:
IMG_3130.JPG

We greatly enjoyed the area around Platoro and plan to return next season. I hope it lives up to it's reputation of being relatively undiscovered.

I hope it lives up to it's reputation of being relatively undiscovered.
Not anymore... ;)

Looks like a great trip, thanks.

Nice! Thanks for the travel journal notes and photos. It's definitely a remote and beautiful area.

awesome!! i need to venture north to CO more!!

I spend a few weeks up there each year in the area. Great country, fairly quiet and lots of back country to explore on foot. It's a far drive from most major metro areas so it's less traveled than many other parts of the west. Glad you were able to get up there and enjoy it.

IMG_20190814_092857.jpg

Awesome report Jim. Need to get the 40 out and explore now that the temps are reasonable.

Awesome report Jim. Need to get the 40 out and explore now that the temps are reasonable.

If you'd like to visit the area and poke around, let me know. We definitely want to go back.

A couple of folks from the CO Land Cruisers bunch on Mud have shown interest.

I spend a few weeks up there each year in the area. Great country, fairly quiet and lots of back country to explore on foot. It's a far drive from most major metro areas so it's less traveled than many other parts of the west. Glad you were able to get up there and enjoy it.

I appreciate the info. I prefer the less crowded areas.

Good looking 60 you have there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom