Plastic parts repair?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, we have to man-up and admit that out dearest cruisers do have some plastic parts.
Anyone have any luck repairing wheel arch flares?? If so what products did you use for glueing and strength and for filling and priming??
IMG_6405.JPG

IMG_8308.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

Dent already looking a lot better after some hot water and Mr. Hammer treatment, but as you can see, the soldering iron welding is only good enough to hold the tabs in place and hold a crack closed on a temporary basis, but something flexible is needed to do a proper job.
IMG_8305.JPG

IMG_8306.JPG

Hello,

The flares are made of fiber glass reinforced plastic. Bondo resin will do the trick. Toss in some fiber glass if possible. Then polish to a smooth finish.

Another option is your local FRP repair shop. Those guys know their way around damages such as yours. Well, most of them.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Are you sure about that Juan??? It seemed to melt far too easily with my soldering iron for it to be GRP.
It's a HzzzJ76 we are talking about , by the way.

Any good way of testing the type of plastic or ahdesion without buying a selection of glues and gunk??

G

I think the newer ones are plastic, the older ones were F/G

Any good way of testing the type of plastic or ahdesion without buying a selection of glues and gunk??

I would ask a panel shop supplier. Im pretty sure normal body filler wont work

Are you sure about that Juan??? It seemed to melt far too easily with my soldering iron for it to be GRP.
It's a HzzzJ76 we are talking about , by the way.

G

Hello,

Mine are FRP. My garage door has this habit of hitting the fender flares (either that or I get too close to them when entering); I have made a number of dents (and a big crack) on them.

A broken/dented pre-2007 flare shows the reinforcing fibers within the plastic. Scratch it with your fingers and the fibers come loose; they feel like coarse dust to the touch.

On the other hand, my experience is limited to pre-2007 models. It is possible that Toyota moved from FRP to non-reinforced plastic from 2007 on. I understand 90 Series Prados had plastic overfenders/flares.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom