Advice on getting an estimate for repair in San Diego (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To start I have looked at the sticky of shops recommended for 70 series owners. I know there is a shop in LA and Stockton I can go to.

I got rear ended, and while it totaled the 4runner behind me, I came out still driveable. A pushed in rear door, a bend in my rear crossmember and probably some alignment/suspension issues. I'll post some pics later (just got a new phone and haven't transferred over)

My question is should I use a local collision shop to get an estimate for repairs and get the frame checked out. Or should I drive up to LA or Stockton to get an estimate.

If staying local does anyone know a reputable shop in San Diego to go through?

Feel free to ask any more details.

Cruiser Tech in Laguna is probably your best bet. I would not take to a regular collision shop.

Maybe a Toyota collision center, but they'll probably lose their mind when you drop off a 70 series.

Sorry this has happened, but glad you are ok. I have been rear ended twice now in a Land Cruiser. It really shows how solid these machines are.

Definitely try to go to a Cruiser specialty shop. They will know how to source parts, or at the very least have the skills to repair parts NLA.

If you go mainstream, it is a crapshoot, and the very worst thing that can happen is eventually the insurance companies will either raise the rates for all 70 owners, or refuse to insure them due to the expense of repairing them. We don't want to see this happen.

It will already get harder to own and drive these with the push to get everyone sold on electric vehicles. Just ask californian's trying to own and drive a Land Cruiser in that state.

Best of luck with the repairs, hope it is painless and inexpensive as possible. :cheers:

Thank you for the advice, guys. Sorry I didn't reply earlier. It's been a hell of a New Year. My bathrooms flooded on new year's edealing with a pretty big Home Insurance claim. Is stuck staying in hotels. The land cruiser issues have to take a backburner

From what I understand california's not even registering right hand drive vehicles anymore. And it's not even because of land reserves. It's because of the skylines and such.

Long story short, i'm definitely gonna try to take it to a Land cruiser shop to get a good Quote

It's not that you can't register a right hand drive, it's that you can't register an imported vehicle that doesn't have a federal emissions sticker, unless you pay $10k+ to the monopoly testing firm CEE in Santa Ana. Most RHDs are imported and lack the sticker.

I hope things turn around for you soon. Sounds like a lot of hassles at once.

UPDATE:

Took the cruiser to autpark collision in Escondido, CA. It is who SDtruck shop says they have do their body and frame work.

The shop manager Marty has been great to deal with so far. He wants me to locate the parts it needs which is understandable as it's not their normal work.

He want to replace the rear crossmember and the rear door. I found one rear crossmember on Ebay. But its the only one I can find online. Does anyone have a bead on frame parts or rear right doors for a BJ74.

The also don't deal with rust at this shop so I will have to find another shop to do that work. Any ideas in San Diego or nearby?

UPDATE:

Took the cruiser to autpark collision in Escondido, CA. It is who SDtruck shop says they have do their body and frame work.

The shop manager Marty has been great to deal with so far. He wants me to locate the parts it needs which is understandable as it's not their normal work.

He want to replace the rear crossmember and the rear door. I found one rear crossmember on Ebay. But its the only one I can find online. Does anyone have a bead on frame parts or rear right doors for a BJ74.

The also don't deal with rust at this shop so I will have to find another shop to do that work. Any ideas in San Diego or nearby?
That is great that you found a reputable shop to help you out. I would start with asking them who they would trust with rust repair. An old school shop that isn't afraid to do old school work anymore.

There are a few vendors in the states that do bring in container loads of take offs and used parts. Folks that I can think of off the top of my head:

cuiserparts.net
oddironoffroad
@Zee (local fellow with some wizardry like powers to conjure up rare parts from seemingly nowhere)

If you are not in a real hurry, you should be able to find what you need and not have it cost you an arm and a leg. You will need to call the shops directly as they do not always list what they have online. And I would PM Zee directly. Cheers, and good luck! :cheers:

I would maybe add @joekatana to the list above.

You could also reach out to 4x4 Labs. They remove the rear cross member when doing bumper installs. I don't know if they keep them (kinda doubt it) but they might be able to hook you up. If not now, maybe the next time they do a 70.

I didn't keep mine unfortunately.

UPDATE:

I am bout to take the body of a BJ73 and am going to chop that frame up so the rear crossmember will be available, I have some rear doors here also .

Thank you for all the responses. Luckily it's an insurance thing so not as concerned with the cost. I also have to weigh the options as my rear quarter panels have started getting some cancerous rust. Not sure how much I should put into putting bandaids on it or just get the insurance check and put it towards new quarter panels. The truck is also monsterlined. So got to look at the time to redoing that as well. Joys of an old cruiser sometimes lol

Thank you for all the responses. Luckily it's an insurance thing so not as concerned with the cost. I also have to weigh the options as my rear quarter panels have started getting some cancerous rust. Not sure how much I should put into putting bandaids on it or just get the insurance check and put it towards new quarter panels. The truck is also monsterlined. So got to look at the time to redoing that as well. Joys of an old cruiser sometimes lol
I have new quarter panels available also if we are shipping a pallet ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom