Planning for front end service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

Planning to do front end service shortly after my FSM comes in. I know from past experiences that the FSM is a critical part to doing the job right, but not the only one, so any words of wisdom you folks can add are greatly appreciated.

Paul

'97 Collector's Ed

Thanks CDan. Those links provide the "education" I'm looking for.

Paul

Paul,
Since you're new you may have missed the recent SOS post. Read it. We haven't updated the birf-repack instructions with Simon's additions that are in that thread. We really need to do that too. There are also some pics of the inner axle guide and things to be aware of. Good stuff.
-B-

Thanks for the heads-up -B-. You just saved me some major headaches (assuming the indexing ring hasn't already come loose...if it has, at least I'll know how to deal with it). Great work by Riley and Simon, along with some creative thinking by others in the forum.

BTW, I plan on replacing knuckle bearings, wheel bearings, seals, gaskets...the whole nine yards. Is there a parts kit available? If so, can you recommend a parts supplier (OEM quality)? Thanks again.

Paul

Yup,
for oem quality your choices are oem or oem.
I used the man a fre kit escept the inner oil seals which I got oem. just ask them what brand of bearings are coming in the kit. if thye dont know ask them to go and look. mine had the timken wheel bearings and the koyo knuckle bearings. still good 20k later.
Dave

Paul,
There is also a complete parts list in the archives. Search on my posts with Timken in the message body. I recommend getting the Toyota parts; sourcing the wheel bearings if you need them and if you need to save a few bucks. Stay with the Timken or Koyo bearings though. The list has the bearing mfg numbers.

Doing the axle service is a relatively easy job (if nothing goes wrong!!!) but it takes a loooong time. For me, it just isn't worth trying to save a few bucks on those parts when it takes me 8 hours to get in there and replace them if something goes wrong. But that's just me and I fully understand where people are coming from when they want to save money every where they can. Gives more $$$ for the fun stuff. :D

-B-

Paul, As Simon mentioned, it's probably worth getting a spare inner axle seal. You likely won't need it but it's a great to have a back up if you have trouble with it. Not sure why but on my truck we had no issues getting that seal in correctly but on Simon's it was a little tricky.

R

Paul,

Get your parts via C-Dan here on the list so you won't be halfway in the teardown and find that your dealer gave you the wrong seal, the wife's gone in the other car and you're standing there with your finger up your nose wondering why you didn't call CDan.

DougM

Ditto on a spare inner axle seal. It's like a $5 - $6 part, and an extra one or two will give you great peace of mind when you have your axle laying in pieces all over the garage floor while you are driving a new seal in. Be patient, be careful, but also be prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom