Pitman arm options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am using a 1980 Hilux push pull style steering box on a 1924 Fiat based Type 35 Bugatti tribute speedster. I am looking for a straight, or drop arm that has a ball joint or taper hole on the opposite side of the arm to the standard arm as I need extra chassis clearance to line up my drag link. No welding or cutting options as it needs to be signed off by a VASS Engineer. Suggestions please?

As I recall those pitman arms have a ball welded into them. Grind off the weld and press the ball out, then use a taper reamer to create the taper on the side that you need it to be?

As I recall those pitman arms have a ball welded into them. Grind off the weld and press the ball out, then use a taper reamer to create the taper on the side that you need it to be?
I need a straight one or a reverse bend with the ball or taper on the other side as the bend in the stock one goes the wrong way to fit my application.

Given the Gov't Inspection y'all have there I agree with gnob, Sky Mfg. I had one of their flat pitman arms on an IFS box converted truck. The only question I have is if the splines of the IFS box (what most use or convert to up here) and the Live Axle (push-pull) box are the same.

Given the Gov't Inspection y'all have there I agree with gnob, Sky Mfg. I had one of their flat pitman arms on an IFS box converted truck. The only question I have is if the splines of the IFS box (what most use or convert to up here) and the Live Axle (push-pull) box are the same.
Even better if there is another Toyota one that will fit my criteria and just bolt on as I would need to determine if the Sky ones have Australian compliance, whereas a different model Toyota one will be no problem.

The first thing that needs to be known is if the sector shaft splines for the IFS box and the push-pull box are the same. As you didn't get the IFS trucks over there until much later (if ever) I am hoping someone over here knows about this. If they are the same, then the IFS pitman arm will bolt onto the push-pull steering box. It does have the problem of having the ball stud in the end of it rather than having a tapered hole. Which places the tapered hole in the end of your drag link. Perhaps that being custom would be easier to get approved? The reamers to produce the correct taper for GM, Ford, and Toyota tapers are readily available here.

My completely unfounded and uninformed suspicion is that the push-pull box's sector shaft splines are smaller than the IFS box's splines. However, Toyota is pretty good about "recycling" designs. It would not surprise me in the least to learn that the pitman arm off a 70's to maybe 80's Celica, Corolla, or other passenger car fit those splines.

Splining a hole is different though. That is usually done with a broach, which is pretty fixed in the size it produces unless that broach does only one spline at a time. If this latter, then it's dependent on the tooling made to support the work while it is being broached. It may be easily changed to another hole size and it may be possible but completely uneconomical to do so. That they could be machining it via a traditional CNC isn't outside the realm of possible, but it would be a bit unusual.

The OP called it "VASS", which I suspect having read up on a little of the process, is a difficult inspection for a home builder to pass. Not impossible, but difficult. Anything OEM and unmodified gets a pass as it has already been inspected. I think the least path of resistance is to find a Toyota passenger car with a pitman arm the fits and works. If Aisin made these steering boxes then it wouldn't be unexpected that other Japanese brands may also have pitman arms that would at least fit the splines.

If Aisin made these steering boxes then it wouldn't be unexpected that other Japanese brands may also have pitman arms that would at least fit the splines.
This. Think outside the box. Nissan, Isuzu, Subaru, etc probably all use AISIN product.

Splining a hole is different though. That is usually done with a broach, which is pretty fixed in the size it produces unless that broach does only one spline at a time. If this latter, then it's dependent on the tooling made to support the work while it is being broached. It may be easily changed to another hole size and it may be possible but completely uneconomical to do so. That they could be machining it via a traditional CNC isn't outside the realm of possible, but it would be a bit unusual.

The OP called it "VASS", which I suspect having read up on a little of the process, is a difficult inspection for a home builder to pass. Not impossible, but difficult. Anything OEM and unmodified gets a pass as it has already been inspected. I think the least path of resistance is to find a Toyota passenger car with a pitman arm the fits and works. If Aisin made these steering boxes then it wouldn't be unexpected that other Japanese brands may also have pitman arms that would at least fit the splines.
Many Thanks, I will look into other brands like Mitsubishi etc and see if I can find one suitable.

The first thing that needs to be known is if the sector shaft splines for the IFS box and the push-pull box are the same. As you didn't get the IFS trucks over there until much later (if ever) I am hoping someone over here knows about this. If they are the same, then the IFS pitman arm will bolt onto the push-pull steering box. It does have the problem of having the ball stud in the end of it rather than having a tapered hole. Which places the tapered hole in the end of your drag link. Perhaps that being custom would be easier to get approved? The reamers to produce the correct taper for GM, Ford, and Toyota tapers are readily available here.

My completely unfounded and uninformed suspicion is that the push-pull box's sector shaft splines are smaller than the IFS box's splines. However, Toyota is pretty good about "recycling" designs. It would not surprise me in the least to learn that the pitman arm off a 70's to maybe 80's Celica, Corolla, or other passenger car fit those splines.
A tapered hole at the end of the Pitman arm would be OK as I can then find a Tie rod end that will fit the taper and the drag link. Rethreading a drag link should not cause an issue with certification as its just a solid 11/16 dia steel rod with a 1934 Chevy tie rod end at one end.

I was thinking that the Push Pull one might have a larger spline than the IFS, but that an early Landcruiser arm might have the same spline and the opposite drop and Ball location.

I like your thinking!!! Does anybody have any tech data on Aisin steering boxes out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom