Pionion bearing replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all,

I've been lurking around for some time with little to add so haven't been posting but have been sucking up your knowledge like a spunge.

Problem i have is that i have a rumbling comming from front when in 4wd, only seams to come when not under load. I've had a feel an suspect its the outer pinion bearing. How big a job is this for an average shadetree mechanic? Can it be done on the vehicle? Or should i bite the bullet a say if ones gone there all gone and rebuild the diff?

Oh its an 1988 BJ71 with Lokka in the rear (as of about 3 weeks ago) and i'm located in New Zealand.

Many thanks

Tony

outer one is easy, pull drive shaft, pull companion flange, remove oil deflector and the bearing is right there. if you need to do the race, you'll have to pull the carrier out and drop the pinion. same story if you have to do the inner bearing/race.

You have to take the differential apart to pull the pinion. I 've heard of guys doing it on the trail in less than an hour. It took me a short weekend to completely rebuild and set-up my differential, but I am slow. If you don't know about the rest of the bearings I'd get a rebuild kit and do the whole thing. It not real hard . There is a good write-up in the Tech section

Nocents

Get a tourque wrench and a mag-base dial indicator...you will need them.

Good luck!

-Steve

Before you replace the bearing are you sure it is not one of the dust shields? They can make a lot of noise if they are rubbing. If you have to replace the bearing, an air impact makes life much easier to get the nut off, but I would not recommend using it on the reinstall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom