Pinion Seal Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have tried new flange and OEM and aftermarket pinion seals and there is a little oil/grease at the dust cover. It could be (I hope) just some of the grease I put on the seal and pinion washing out over time. If not, could the pinion be spinning out of round? We checked it when we rebuilt the diff. Or it might be a grove or something where the seal sits in. How far does the seal go in? Till it bottoms out, right?
I cleaned it up today and will keep an eye on it. I sacrificed my FJ60 to the LG god, what more do they want
:bow:
kurt

Oil could leak past the splines and pinion nut.

If it was leaking at the nut, wouldn't it be leaking the nut side of the flange? The oil I have/had was from under the flange dust cover,not where the drive shaft bolts up.
kurt

Well, you didn't say where is was coming from before :dunno:

Hopefully it's just residual from the replacement.

If I were you I would clean it off and watch it for a few days.

How did your pre-load come out?

I tightened till I got about 14" lbs. I used the old nut and it stopped in the same place that it was before I removed it. If you can remove the nut without destroying it, couldn't you just tighten it to the same place it was staked before?
kurt

Logic dictates that you would certainly be close.

I wounder what the +/- is on a in/lb torque wrench? I bet if I tried 10 different wrenches I would get 10 different readings.
kurt

If you can remove the nut without destroying it, couldn't you just tighten it to the same place it was staked before?

Kurt,
That would be assuming it was correct to start with. If there is wobble in the pinion then the bearing/race could be bad. Since you replaced the flange the seal should have a new fresh surface to run on. Just a slight amount of grease goes on a seal for installation. Too much and it can then mix with dirt to quickly erode the flange. Sometimes a seal can leak around the outside metal. Clean up the metal where the seal is going to be installed and use a little Permetex or such on the outside of the seal when installing. This also helps the seal go in easier. It is possible to put a seal in less far or extra far sometimes to give it a new surface to run on but that's not the best idea. I don't think it can be overemphasized that care needs to be taken when installing a new seal. Any kind of dings or driving it offcenter can lead a new seal to leak. Also, if there are any burrs, sharp edges, etc. on the flange when you push it through the seal after it is installed can screw the seal up. I agree with C-Dan. Clean it up and if it drips you need a new seal and maybe a new flange. End of ramble.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom