pillguy's 4runner build (with pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

additional work

Well, as I mentioned, I ran into a major goof, got to cut of the Jack support and reattach it elsewhere on the tire carrier. Just not enough room for it..
P1020527 copy.jpg
Ghetto fabbing of my custom ham radio mount.
P1020538.JPG
All primed and ready to paint, really cannot say how great this roll of heavy paper has worked out over the past few years for stuff, painting, welding, etc. well it kinda burns when you weld, duh... but it prevents the paint from getting ruined with splatter.
Worth every penny for the #0 dollar roll
P1020551.JPG
Well back to the drawing board, tough to visualize things and then make them esp. with this portion of the bumper.

P1020527 copy.jpg

P1020538.JPG

P1020551.JPG

Looking good . I need to use that paint on my frame if it good on rust

By magnet paints called chassis saver
high build jet black
$28/qt at sherwinn Williams automotive stores. You may be able to get it at the regular paint stores if you ask the to order at the store.
Went on well and loads cheaper than rust bullet and por-15 and it is in black

Looking good . I need to use that paint on my frame if it good on rust

I finally got around to finishing my rebuild of my Tundra calipers. Here are a few pics. I had to do a lot of cleaning of the pistons is there is a little bit of rust on the very top of them, so out came the drill press in the brass wire attachment. I also painted them with high temp caliper paint .I need to install them but I also need to do a rebuild of my drive shaft on the front end. It may bee a long labor day weekend

ForumRunner_20120827_173401.jpg

ForumRunner_20120827_173429.jpg

ForumRunner_20120827_173444.jpg

ForumRunner_20120827_173401.jpg

ForumRunner_20120827_173429.jpg

ForumRunner_20120827_173444.jpg

Well guys,

I finally got around to doing my brakes (tundra swap) and axle replacement. Slinky1 came over to help me do some of the heavy lifting since I still have a bum arm...

So this is what was on tap...
Swap out the axles for new ones that have been sitting in plastic for 4 years....I decided to rebuild the others on a later date before GSMTR.
Install the new tundra brakes....I sure hope this fixes my brake problems.....

Well here are some pics
You can see why I needed to get this done. One thing I noticed, I did have a 1" tear in the inner boot. Hoping I can still rebuild

FRaxle&Brakes-03.jpg
Making progress
FRaxle&Brakes-01.jpg
Wow, we did not have to remove the skid plate...
FRaxle&Brakes-05.jpg

FRaxle&Brakes-03.jpg

FRaxle&Brakes-01.jpg

FRaxle&Brakes-05.jpg

Tundra Brakes and axles continued

Things are moving along, my helper left as he had some things to do and I needed to finish up.

FRaxle&Brakes-13.jpg
Rats.... I forgot a part, Where does this go?

FRaxle&Brakes-11.jpg

Lets see, tear apart the left side again and see where it goes
FRaxle&Brakes-15.jpg

OK..... I am done, slow going as I am anal about making sure it is right....
Just cannot drive it yet as I one of my bolts got partly stripped.

What went wrong during the process.
1. Stripped one of the lower ball joint bolts (6 on order due tues)
2. had to pull off one of the dust shields from the old axle and put on after I had put the left side back together
3. Should have loosed the brake line fittings before removing them. Slinky1 cussed a few times on that one
4. Somehow, I forgot to order anti-squeal shims last year, so I had to run to the local dealer

T

FRaxle&Brakes-13.jpg

FRaxle&Brakes-11.jpg

FRaxle&Brakes-15.jpg

last pics for now

the final completion
FRaxle&Brakes-23.jpg
FRaxle&Brakes-25.jpg
last things to button up.
Retorque wheel bearing nuts
install last of the bolts on order

Then started to work on the noise mat for the doors, lots of TN silt in the left door from all the mud....
FRaxle&Brakes-27.jpg

FRaxle&Brakes-23.jpg

FRaxle&Brakes-25.jpg

FRaxle&Brakes-27.jpg

so did you find your keys? do the brakes work? If not, do you need further surgery? :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Still no keys, so i use my spare
still waiting on a few things to do this week, bleed brakes, and receive remaining parts so who knows if brakes work. I hope so after all this.
And finally.... yes I need further surgery, I will probably schedule it early next year if my left shoulder holds out.:crybaby: Not to whine about it, but it really sucks have very limited mobility of your right arm and having your left arm in pain because it is compensating for both does not make a for fun filled days.....

so did you find your keys? do the brakes work? If not, do you need further surgery? :flipoff2:

Well I decided to do some AC maintenance and get the stink out of the AC.
Tools required compressed air , and all kinds of tree debris came out of the inside of it with the vacuum it was nasty

ForumRunner_20130824_145646.jpg

ForumRunner_20130824_145710.jpg

ForumRunner_20130824_145735.jpg

ForumRunner_20130824_145646.jpg

ForumRunner_20130824_145710.jpg

ForumRunner_20130824_145735.jpg

Well I decided to do some AC maintenance and get the stink out of the AC.
Tools required compressed air , and all kinds of tree debris came out of the inside of it with the vacuum it was nasty

You should've hit with your purse:flipoff2:

What can I say.... The creature comforts are nice. Gotta get after the gas tank skid plate build

20140914_175540.jpg 20140914_165401.jpg 20140914_165401.jpg 20140914_164117.jpg 20140914_163641.jpg Well guys,
Been a while since I got a chance to work on my truck but Januarys trip in water world did the alternator in and it was screaming as the bearings were done for. I got a 99 alternator that gives you 10 more amps over the 97 version. I will do the big three after things calm down and i get into a house again. Here are a few picss of the swap out.

Hi guys
Was planning on going to the country fried weekend but I noticed some pink fluid dripping down from my drain pan . So it was time to replace radiator hoses is the lower one with the one that was leaking and here are a few pictures as I am wrenching today. Removing skid plate. Might as well sanded and repainted while its off 7
uploadfromtaptalk1421514055419.jpg

Next up fluid drain

Now to remove hoses, the upper look newer the lower look like it was original

I also have a transmission cooler that I'm going to install while I've got the engine apart and I need some parts for it.

uploadfromtaptalk1421514127819.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1421514176743.jpg

Hi guy's
Well now that it is cold out, I had some time to work on the truck a bit. Installed NEW radiator. It's almost done. New vs old
uploadfromtaptalk1424012406986.jpg

Back at it this afternoon. Radiator is in and hoses are on.
Changing different fluid in the front. Took a breaker bar to get the plus off.u
uploadfromtaptalk1425169605106.jpg

So one additional question. Is differential fluid supposed room be reddish purple? Or is that a sign of water intrusion?
uploadfromtaptalk1425169737226.jpg

Maybe whoever did it last used royal purple or redline.... water turns the fluid a gross greyish brown color.

That plug sucks... and this reminds me I need to check mine.

THanks Matthew,
was concerned that TN H20 turned my gear oil red....:D
What do you think about Advanced Auto synthetic gear oil? I was going to try that as I looked like a good deal.

So guys,
A bit of an informal update, after over 7 years of owning my truck, I finally landed on a name for it.
Its Japanese 旅行者 (Ryokō-sha) and basically means traveler.
Its sums up the many adventures I have had in the truck to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom