phil was chasing his cruiser... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
22-Year-Old Man Taken Into Custody

/KMBC[/RIGHT]
[/CENTER]

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A car owner found himself dodging bullets while following the person who drove off with his car Thursday morning.
A 22-year-old man was taken into custody about 9 a.m. after a brief police pursuit ended.
Police said the car was stolen from a home near 66th and Main streets about 8:30 a.m.
"I started my car to let it warm up. I was going to take my daughter day care, and I look up to see someone run up our driveway and jump into the car," car owner Phil Kennedy said.
Kennedy got into another car after he saw the man take off in his Toyota Land Cruiser and pursued him down 66th Street.
"I guess his partners were with him in a car behind me shooting at me. At the time, I didn't know it was gunshots. I thought someone's car was backfiring, so it didn't occur to me that someone was shooting at me until the fifth or sixth shot," Kennedy said.
Kennedy stopped and called police.
"If someone is bold enough to come up on my property and steal my property, I'm going to make it as hard as I can for them to get away. That was my only thought while the things went down," Kennedy said.
Police said officers later spotted the Toyota on northbound U.S. 71 near Gregory Boulevard. Officers tried to pull over the driver, but he would not stop. Police said they deployed spike strips near 55th Street. The driver hit the spike strips, finally pulled off near 39th Street and then jumped out of the car and ran off.
The 22-year-old was taken into custody near 39th Street and Euclid Avenue. Police have not located the people in the Buick.
Kennedy said he was not chasing the man to stop him, but so police could track him down.

remote start that keeps the doors locked on my matrix is looking very nice now after that story. i just can't start it in the garage. course i would have had a heater on me and shot the mo fo in the buick..
remote start with alarm installed are like $300.. WAY WORTH IT..

Last edited:
Holy **** guys. I was just going to post up that some jackwad stole the cruiser today and to get advice on what I should have the shop look at. I did get it recovered, but the thief had accomplices that chased after me and they shot up our VW, so we are two cars down now.

Back to the FJ60, blown tire, body damage on the rear as the idiot hit a tree, and scratches all down the drivers side from said tree. What I am really worried about, is the clutch, transmission, engine, etc., the idiot could not drive a stick, so clutch, or seemingly steer a car. Thoughts on how I go about seeing if damage was done to any of that stuff?

2fpower, thanks for posting up.

Tornadoalleycruiser, yes, not having my heater on me was my bad. It was upstairs and I was downstairs when I notice the MOFO running up my driveway and I only had time to grab the keys to our Touareg. Being surprised like this happened once, it won't happen again.

Phil

Sorry Zane, didn't meant to leave you hanging man. Thanks, I am good, more importantly, the family is good and at the end of the day, that's what really matters.

if you need any of us to look at it we'd be more than happy to help. .
your appearance on the news was great.. the news i watched even had the correct LandCruiser in the background with the correct year mirrors etc..
Engine and clutch should probably take any of that with ease.. Main things to look at on steering are the tie rods and tie rod ends. and a good look at the knuckles and bearings for slop. If you can front the $100+ for a knuckle kit we can rebuild them at my place this spring and i will rally the troops to help out.
What size tire? i have a couple lying round doing nothing you can have for free.. one even has nubs on it, i think it's like a 31 or 32 on an FJ60 rim.

if you can't front it and wanna replace what I have we can do it as well. I normally keep extra knuckle kits on hand.. just need to wait till kelly is done with taxes and i'm done with my project so we have a place to drain the beer kelly will provide during the process..

That we can do!

I smell a wrenching weekend coming!

I am ordering a kit from Kurt this week for my 80, so I can tack on one for a 60 and get you free shipping?

Another eye witness

I had someone in at work today who was there when Phil's LC made a final attempt to evade the police. Apparently even with the blown tires it made a valiant attempt at a rather steep incline.

Holy cow. Glad you are OK Phil and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the offer guys. I will totally take you up on the offer for a wrenching weekend. Funny thing, I had ordered replacement tie rod ends and a rear seal kit and a knuckle rebuild kit earlier in the week and received them on Thursday afternoon.

Again, I really appreciate the offer and look forward to meeting everyone.

Phil

my advice before we help you rebuild your knuckles is to order the marlin front inner axle seals, much beefier and sturdy. I have the SST to rebuild knuckles but need to clear out a project in the shop first.. or we can do it at kelly's but need a parts washer prior to. I have one just not set up after moving 2 years ago!

Thanks Erik, I ordered the entire kit from Marlin, front knuckle rebuild kit and rear seal kit.

I read about those dirtbags stealing your truck the other day in the news and found out that you to live right down the street from me. I've got the ugly green 80 down at the corner of Cherry. If you need a hand with anything let me know.

Sean

Sean-

Too funny. Thanks for the offer. Actually, I love your 80 and it was seeing yours that got me thinking that I wanted to sell my 60 and get an 80. I hate to give the 60 up, but before last Thursday, had been leaning the 80 way. It will be a little more comfortable for our newborn. What year is yours?

Also, good to have another Jayhawk in the hood. My wife is a huge KU fan/alum, which means that I am by marriage!

Mine is a 96 with 183k, it was sort of a impulse purchase, long before I found the mud website. I love it, just not what it leaks out. We are definitely a KU household, so we are still in mourning over last weekend.

I may bend your ear about your 80. This site is incredible and been a wealth of information.

Yes, we are still mourning as well, been a rough couple of years trying to get to the big dance. We were in Vegas for last years fiasco! However, we did make it to San Antonio in 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom