Pesky Rattle/Clank from Undercarriage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m inviting any and all wild speculation about the metallic rattle/clank that occurs when I drive over rutted roads or healthy potholes. Basically, if the bump is big enough, I’ll get the noise. And, unfortunately, the bump does not need to be too big.

I was confident that it was the sway bar links/bushings, which I found were quite worn and had some play to them. I just replace front and rear, but the sound persists (though less so; there was definitely some noise coming off the sway bar’s link/bushings).

Possible variables: I have AHC. I replaced the rear springs with OEM non-AHC springs. I replaced the torsion bars with stiffer ARB bars. I have White Knuckle rock slides and Asfir skid plates.

I’ve tightened every bolt I can touch. I don’t see any movement in the skid plates.

I first noticed the noise after replacing the rear springs and torsion bars.

Thanks in advance.

Check your exhaust hanger bushings and rear control arm bushings . Sometimes a big prybar on things reveals what a hand nudge does not.

this was on my 80 series but had the same darn thing happening for years. Ended up being my rear sway bar links were toast and had several inches of play in them.

E brake components where the cable meets the drums. I’m having a rattle/squeak and that’s where I’ll be headed next

Mine has a rattle inside the factory rear bumper on the left corner.
I'd have to remove the bumper cover to fix it.
I found it by banging different spots with a dead-weight rubber mallet.

Check to see if your exhaust pipe is rattling against the frame at the bend over the rear axle. For some reason mine started doing that last year. Not sure why it started. But at least I know the issue. And unfortunately, heat resistant felt gasket strips from my Big Green Egg didn’t solve it. Need to find time to take it to a muffler shop to have them bend it a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom