Pendragon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks John. Really appreciate everything you did for me on this too. Without that original ride noticing there was no fuel level signal to the PCM, or the adjustment to the injectors fuel flow, I'd be nowhere near here.

Truck goes in on the 22nd. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Went to the ref today. Truck failed. The intake tube is "modified" (because it had to be shortened to fit. Which he said could be forgivable (depending on the whim of his supervisor) if the other issues weren't a problem. The CATs don't appear in the PDF they work from showing approved CATs for my model/year. I would swear (and Tor double-checked) that they were approved when they were installed.

But perhaps worst, is that the requirements have changed. They now take an image of your computer and send it in to Sacramento to verify it is a factory, unmodified computer program. Specifically, this note in the BAR Engine Change Guidelines (appendix E, section 7.A at this link: https://bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf)
  • Calibration Identification (CalID) and Calibration Verification Number (CVN) must match a certified configuration for the donor engine
I am ... crushed and defeated. I really don't know where to go or how to continue to pursue this at this point. I'm looking things up, and hopefully its just a flash with no additional work, but I don't know. My time, patience, and funds, are all thin.

Last edited:
OH...MY...GOD!!

I don’t know how they would know it’s a “factory” program. Sounds like they have a budget that’s way too big. It’s crazy that our tax dollars are funding this kind of nonsense. This is gnat sheit in the grand scheme of things.

If this is true, engine conversions are a thing of the past in California

OH...MY...GOD!!

I don’t know how they would know it’s a “factory” program. Sounds like they have a budget that’s way too big. It’s crazy that our tax dollars are funding this kind of nonsense. This is gnat sheit in the grand scheme of things.

If this is true, engine conversions are a thing of the past in California

They know by reading specific memory regions and running a checksum. That checksum has to match what is on file in Sacramento.

I'm pretty broken over this right now. This is a lot of time and money that is, at this point, just down the tubes. The more I look at the problem the more it looks like the truck is going to have to go up for sale. I'm talking to Tor right now, but I'm not sure he can do much. The guy I used who burned by computer is at a loss as well. My only hope might be to find a 2005 computer from a CA truck in a wrecking yard somewhere and use that, but even then, I don't know what that will do to the overall status. There are things that have to be turned off or changed for the engine. This whole thing is bull****.

100%, CA has finally worked to kill off non-e-rod/factory engine transplants.

And, on the one hand, I can kinda understand. I remember what the SMOG used to be like in LA in the 80s. It sucked. There were many days where you were supposed to keep your kids indoors because of it. Even into the 90s. But this takes it too far. This is ridiculous.

@SPANNERSPINNER have you reached out to @orangefj45? He may have some insights into what you can do and may have the upper hand with knowing what the CA Refs requirements look like. If nothing else he might be able to do a look over and then give you an idea of what his local ref would need changed to pass. If that was the case, I would try to book an inspection with his local Ref.

@SPANNERSPINNER have you reached out to @orangefj45? He may have some insights into what you can do and may have the upper hand with knowing what the CA Refs requirements look like. If nothing else he might be able to do a look over and then give you an idea of what his local ref would need changed to pass. If that was the case, I would try to book an inspection with his local Ref.

I've not. I know Tor has at various points in the past when he has tried to help me. I honestly am not sure what all he could do for me. Both he and Tor (if memory serves) are not doing wrecker-swaps anymore due to this new checksumming rule.

I called the BAR. What they want to see is the entire componentry sourced from a single automobile with zero alterations - engine, intake, emissions, EVAP, ecu/pcm, harness. Literally any modifications to the computer are considered illegal. Even if it cleans it up.

To fix this I'm in the position of reverse engineering whatever CA legal FACTORY ECU program most closely matches my installed configuration, pop that into the rig, and start fixing breakage.

After exchanging emails with Tor, it looks like the original computer he installed may be unmodified. Now that there are CARB-approved aftermarket Cats (who is spending $3k on cats!?!) for 2006, I may be able to swap the computers and throttle units for the old, original ones, set the emissions (if it will) and then change the cats at $150x2+labor. Assuming that precise and golden sequence of events, this may work out.

Reading through the latter part of this thread just hurts. As in, it's very painful. I can only imagine what the actual experience is like. Good luck in finding a successful resolution to this issue; I know I would have given up by now. (No, actually, I would have moved by now.)

I came hunting for this thread again to check your status. I was literally going to pick up a 2001 Chevy Tahoe next weekend. Guess I’ll have to buy a pre 74 something to put it in. I love California and I hate air pollution but you’re right. This has gone to far.

Sorry brother. Good luck. I’m still keeping my eye on this thread.

That is just horrible dude. I have really been taking complete lack of regulation and laws in FL for granted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom