PCV Valve and exhaust smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adarcy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I have an early 80's 2F in my 72' 40. I've been getting some grayish smoke coming out of the exhaust after it's been sitting at idle for awhile. I disconnected the PCV valve tube from where it plugs into my riser below the carb, plugged the port on the carb riser, and it stops smoking. It was a minor amount of smoke to begin with, but enough that it is annoying to me that it does it all.

I've replaced the PCV valve with a new oem valve and the result is the same.

Is this anything to be concerned about? It seems that when it's all hooked up it's pulling a considerable amount of vacuum on that port and pulling oil or oil vapor into the intake.

Thoughts?

Setup is:
Fj60 Distributer
Early 80's 2F
Header
Carb Riser
Weber 38/38

Pic attached

IMG_4887 (1).jpg

Even if you don't have smoke, do a compression check. You need a PCV breather from the air cleaner assembly to the fitting on the valve cover.

Even if you don't have smoke, do a compression check. You need a PCV breather from the air cleaner assembly to the fitting on the valve cover.
Dizzy - Do you know what size hose fits that valve cover fitting? I also need one and hoping you know the ID hose needed. Thanks in advance!

Same scenario with mine previously and it was very frustrating. had the cylinder head professionally rebuilt with new valve seats and seals. New oem head gasket. Still smoked. Finally replaced the piston rings and honed the cylinders and it runs like a new motor. Hopefully that is not the case for you, and it is something simple.

You need to do a dry and wet compression tests. The results will guide you towards what needs to be done.

You need to do a dry and wet compression tests. The results will guide you towards what needs to be done.
Or a leakdown test if you have access to one. That will tell you a lot of info. I just bought a like new Snap-On for 125 bones to my front door off of FB Marketplace.

Many years ago I toasted the rings on my '77 2F by running hot all day with a radiator coated with mud. The result was that she burned more oil than gasoline and smoked like a stove. The tech section of Toyota Trails back then, and I'm talking 20 years or so ago, was written by Mark Whatley and he had an article there about replumbing the pcv valve as a temporary fix to reduce the smoking. I tried it and it helped to reduce smoking quite a bit. Unfortunately I don't have the article any more but you might try searching for Toyota Trails. I think Mark is on ih8mud so maybe he'll chime in or you could try contacting him.

BTW about the time Mark quit writing the tech column for TT is the time I gave up my membership in TLCA. That wasn't the only reason but it sure was a big part of why.

Pete

Dizzy - Do you know what size hose fits that valve cover fitting? I also need one and hoping you know the ID hose needed. Thanks in advance!
Not sure, offhand. I'll figure it out someday, but when the weather is better.

If you don't have calipers or a micrometer handy to check the valve cover barb, and air cleaner barb, you might use the light touch of an adjustable wrench, or maybe visegrips, to determine the diameter, then measure the opening of jaws with a ruler or scale. Also, the fixed jaws of open-end wrenches provide you with some dimensions, depending on what is in your box.

Just in case anyone else is wondering the valve cover fitting that connects to the air cleaner or Weber carb barb is 17mm. Apparently this is a very common size on old VW Bugs because that is where my searches for 17MM braided vacuum hose led me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom