Passenger side coolant drain plug access? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my radiator on my 04 LX470 this past weekend. I've been driving around all week with distilled water in the coolant system to clean out the crud. Now it's time to flush out the coolant system, fill up with some red, and wrap this project up. However, I cannot access the coolant drain on the PS engine block. I can easily get the tubing on the drain, and a socket on the drain bolt, but I can't get a wrench up there. Someone has to have a trick or a solution to easily access the coolant drain plug. If you do can you share it please?

Thanks Gator! I just went down to Menard's and snatched one up with some instore credit I had.🤞🤞🤞

20210325_170442.jpg

I just did my coolant flush last week and was able to access the PS drain using a couple wobble extensions on a 1/4" ratchet.
Wobble extensions? I know about wobble sockets b/c I have a 3/8" set of those. Where did you get the extensions from?

Wobble extensions? I know about wobble sockets b/c I have a 3/8" set of those. Where did you get the extensions from?

he probably just means putting extensions between wobbles.

I have all manner of wobbles and extensions and bent-handled socket wrenches but that passenger side drain was a PITA with them.

Alright, so the flex handle spinner was a no dice. Still couldn't get the right angle on it, but I was able to succeed. What ended up doing the trick was a 10mm flex ratching wrench. I slid my left arm up behind the exhaust pipe right before the cat, and the bell housing. Slide the wrench over the bolt by feel, and I was able to get enough torque to loosen her up. I had a jacket on and was still able to get my arm up there, so there should be plenty of room if you are just wearing a tshirt.

hmmm I'm sorry that didn't work for you. The way I got it to work was to put the 10mm socket in place on the drain plug, and then stab the spinner onto it.

How clean did that distilled water come out for you? I think I did 3 batches before it was reasonably clear, so you might have more opportunities to try my method. ;)

hmmm I'm sorry that didn't work for you. The way I got it to work was to put the 10mm socket in place on the drain plug, and then stab the spinner onto it.

How clean did that distilled water come out for you? I think I did 3 batches before it was reasonably clear, so you might have more opportunities to try my method. ;)
No worries at all. I tried it the way you described, but the socket kept falling off. In regards to your 2nd question, it was really clean, no rust, and there was no rust or grime in the hoses I removed. The PO was a higher up at the Lexus dealership I bought the car from back in 2019, so the maintenance and repairs were on point...except for the ac compressor. I need to do atleast 3 to 4 more distilled water flushes tomorrow before I fill her back up with Prestone Red. Originally last Friday, I added some Prestone Super Flush, well it did it's job b/c Saturday my radiator was spraying coolant out of the front grill lol. After I finshed replacing the radiator, I filled her up with distilled water, burped her, then drove her for about 30 mins. Then drained her, and filled her with coolant b/c I didn't know how low the temp was going to drop overnight. Today, I drained her, then flushed her with the garden hose while the engine was running. Then I filled her up with distilled water again at 30 min intervals.

No worries at all. I tried it the way you described, but the socket kept falling off. In regards to your 2nd question, it was really clean, no rust, and there was no rust or grime in the hoses I removed. The PO was a higher up at the Lexus dealership I bought the car from back in 2019, so the maintenance and repairs were on point...except for the ac compressor. I need to do atleast 3 to 4 more distilled water flushes tomorrow before I fill her back up with Prestone Red. Originally last Friday, I added some Prestone Super Flush, well it did it's job b/c Saturday my radiator was spraying coolant out of the front grill lol. After I finshed replacing the radiator, I filled her up with distilled water, burped her, then drove her for about 30 mins. Then drained her, and filled her with coolant b/c I didn't know how low the temp was going to drop overnight. Today, I drained her, then flushed her with the garden hose while the engine was running. Then I filled her up with distilled water again at 30 min intervals.

ahhhh, I never did the garden hose flush because it was winter time when I was doing this. I'm sure that shortens the cycles.

The PS side can be difficult depending on year. I've found my go to is a 10mm crows foots flare nut socket and long extension, to break loose and torque back in. Sometimes I use a universal (swivel) most times not. I use 10mm ratcheted box end wrench (gear wrench) or just small 10mm box end to get out and in, once busted loose.
25963678_kti_kti27310_pri_larg.jpg

Sometime the drain will not flow or flow well enough. I'll first blow into drain cock with HP air. If that does work to get flowing. I remove drain plug and send a prob into block and ream it out.

Even if I've drained from DS side, basically sucking coolant from system and pressurized to get more. Once I get DS drain cock to flow I will get at least 1/2 gallon, of some of the crudest coolant. Why so much crud. Block PS is often just skipped.

I never ever use a garden hose, which introduces minerals into system. I use distilled water and if a chemical flush used, I use BG products only. We must triple flush or more with distilled water after a chemical used, until flows clear.

In systems 04-up that use Toyota premix SLL, I avoid flush withing chemical or even distilled water, as we can't can't get 100% out. If I must use them. I've a technique to blow out 95% of water from system. This requires HP air at ~15PSI into radiator reservoir hose flowing out rad and then block, and heater tee's pulled to get heater core(s) blown out.

Hate to hijack but where are you sourcing your red coolant from? My dealership quit selling it and only has premixed pink. I am hesitant to use it after reading here...

Hate to hijack but where are you sourcing your red coolant from? My dealership quit selling it and only has premixed pink. I am hesitant to use it after reading here...

Give them the part number for it and have them order you some.

00272-1LLAC FOR RED COOLANT FYI

Last edited:
So I want to ask is the consensus not to flush with distilled water if your required to use the pink?

IMO flush with distilled water no matter what. Any residual is not going to affect anything.

I agree to only flush with distilled water, in 98-03 when needed!

With 98-03 (LL AKA red) we can readily triple flush with D water. By draining block and radiator, than adding 1 gal of 100% red, and then mixing remainder needed out side the system 50/50 before pouring in. We get a 50//50 mix in the system.

But pink is premixed and specifically states do not add water. So this is a gray area. Why, well for one we can't get all distilled water out. In fact near 1 gallon may remain, if not blown out. Even when "blown out" we do not get 100% out of system. So the mix in coolant system, will not be 50/50 once filled. If a coolant system 04-up (SLL, AKA pink) has been properly cared for. It's best to just drain, blow out and fill w/SSL or use and coolant exchange machine w/SLL. But if for some reason a chemical flush is added; Than yes we must triple flush and blow out with distilled water.

Reasons I use chemical flush. I find some evidence coolant system not properly care for.

Interesting. I just read a piece, that states when topping a coolant system (coolant in use for some time, that does not have leaks) use 100% distilled water. As it's the water that has evaporated. Addition 100% red or mixing 50/50 then adding, will make to strong a mix. But Toyota again, all I've read, states in only add SLL (no water).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom