Parts Prices - Local dealer vs American Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
Fairly new to the site and a new-to-me 1994 80 series. I have been enjoying this site and learning more about my new ride. Anyway, one thing I had already read many times on this site is that cdan at American Toyota is the place to go for parts. I called my local Toyota dealer here in Kansas City with a list of tune-up related parts today and then called the folks at American Toyota. Parts totaled $128 at the local dealer and $81 from American Toyota with the mud discount. Only $8 to ship from New Mexico to KC. They had all parts in stock and shipped today. Not sure if I talked to Dan or not but whoever it was they were very helpful. Anyway, thanks for the tips and thanks to the folks at AT.

Steve

Yep. :D

The best deal is to pick our parts master's brain about the cruiser. ;) Bet your local dealers don't have that kind of expertise.

Last edited:
Yeah, the guys at American Toyota are great! I have saved hundreds just by picking up the phone... Dan is always a gentleman even when I ask stupid questions! Which well, I hate to admit, is more than I would like but, that is how you learn! :cheers: to American Toyota!

Yeah, the guys at American Toyota are great! I have saved hundreds just by picking up the phone... Dan is always a gentleman even when I ask stupid questions! Which well, I hate to admit, is more than I would like but, that is how you learn! :cheers: to American Toyota!

That Turkish prison guard guy whose name escapes me at the moment isn't too shabby, either. :flipoff2:

Right, Onur? :hillbilly:

Anyone tried to get their local dealer to match the prices?

American Toyota gave me a better price than the local dealer on the new contacts I put in my starter.
And I learned how to install them from the great posts on IH8MUD.

I've found that if you ask for the TLCA discount at my local dealer, they get in the neighborhood of Dan's prices + shipping. But they don't have the parts on hand or the knowledge that you get from Dan.

I always order parts from Dan, unless of course it is an emergency and I need the parts now, then I go to the local Toyota dealership. They absolutely suck, I ask them a question and I get a deer in the headlights look in return. I go to the Lexus dealer, where 'most' Lexus owners do NOT work on their vehicles and the parts guy knows exactly what I am after and sometimes has the part in stock. Dan's knowledge and advice is priceless, and I am very grateful to all the help he has given me over the years. :clap::clap::clap:

Jon

When I lived in Fort Worth (Texas, yall) I had great service with Fort Worth Toyota parts. After fifteen years they know me and what I need pretty well, but I needed to be up to speed so I can help them decide. We spent a lot of time with the microfiche machine figuring out the part numbers. They gave me a discount due to the LC Club, and he knew I will go to the internet.

Now that I am away from Fort Worth, I will use CDan exclusively. The knowledge base, courtesy and prices are a great combination, and I highly recommend him. For instance, we tried to swap in a part for one no longer available (except as an expensive assembly), and he was up front with "it may work if you want to try it" advise. Very rare, and very special. The local guy, when I inquired about brake pads, wanted me to make a trip down there with my VIN number, so he could order - and not very helpful or friendly either, even in a small Texas town. Most unusual. Maybe because they sell Fords too? Nah, I know some nice Ford dealers, but I do remember why I only bought General Motors when I lived here years ago.

Cdan is the man. Period.

Jack Nichols, 1993 LC

Local dealer has started offering 20% discount, but as said many times, OUr local dealers just don't have the best customer service, parts availability and knowledge that picking up the phone and calling Dan and his crew at American Toyota has.

Last edited:
My local dealership charges more than list price. :mad:

So after a couple bad experiences (wrong parts, overcharged, etc), Cdan gets all my business.

Yes, I tried - and would have succeeded if the local dealer could have been able to get the parts in sooner than American Toyota - but the local dealer would have been several weeks vs. Dan at a few days.

Regardless, they said they would match the prices of any other Toyota dealer.

So after a couple bad experiences (wrong parts, overcharged, etc), Cdan gets all my business.

x2. I just ordered my ignition switch from Dan. Local dealer wanted $150 for it. Dan's list was around $120 and he shipped it for around $85. He was shocked when I told him what they wanted for it.

Oh, and they told me I had to provide my vin #, which i did- "Oh well that's the cheaper of the two for that year." Dan only needed the year and I knew it was going to be the right part. I had to wait 2 extra days for shipping, but it saved me $70+ and who knows if the local dealer would have ordered the right part.

I only use the local dealer now for immediate needs. :bang:

:steer:

Yes, my dealer does. They honor TLCA/MTA (MTA's price is even better than Dan's !) discount and the TLCA discount is exactly the same as what Dan offers. Just verified this a couple of nights ago. And the parts usually take 2~3 days to come in if they don't have them. My dealer already has all my VINs on file and I rarely receive an incorrect part. And they let me return electrical parts and special order parts, but this is probably because I have been buying parts from them for 10+ years now.

Last edited:
My dealer already has all my VINs on file and I rarely receive an incorrect part. And they let me return electrical parts and special order parts, but this is probably because I have been buying parts from them for 10+ years now.

This is another reason I don't like doing business with the local dealer here. I have been purchasing parts from them for over 4 years now, from the same 2 reps and they still act like they have never seen me before. I've gone in on average 2 times per month (I fail to plan ahead...) on average. I don't expect them to remember my name, but at least say more than "Can i help you?" They will also not keep any information on file. I have to tell them all about my vehicles every time I go in.

I have to give Dan my info everytime too, but at least he's pleasant to deal with and beats their prices everytime.

:steer:

Cdan is the man for parts. Most parts guys don't know the vehicle and need you to provide part numbers and such. Cdan can coach you along to identify what you need. You can call Cdan and tell him you need that "thing" that attaches to that "thing" under the other "thing" and controls the other "thing." He will then spit out the correct name for the part, the price and an expected delivery date. Simply amazing.

Same goes for my local dealers (Stevens Creek Lexus, Stevens Creek Toyota, Capitol Toyota, Piercey Toyota, Fremont Toyota, Fremont Lexus - you name it). I just paid a tad over $60 for two coolant jugs few weeks ago.

Dan and the other fine folks at American Toyota are the most pleasant part guys that I've dealt with. :cheers:

One of my local Toyota dealers told me my '96 FZJ80 was a 'Nice Bronco!'. I still shop there for one reason... of the 4 local dealers they're the only one who will discount coolant down to list price, but I have to buy it by the case for them to do that.

Yeah. Discount. To list price. If I by 6 at a shot. So I can put it in my "Bronco". Yeah.. OK.

I have had very good luck with John at Toyota of Dallas.If I find a lower price John will match it.He is an extremely nice fellow.and takes plenty of time to help me. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom