Part # Request - Brake Fluid Level Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to see if someone can confirm the part # for the brake fluid level sensor for a 1996. I'm coming up with 84460-60020 for the cap with the sensor, at a list of about $140. Seems like the sensor is only available with the cap.

I couldn't find a good diagram to verify that was correct, and the dealer I called didn't sound too sure either.

Thanks

You can order Toyota part# 47220-60070. This is the current part number for the Master Cylinder Assembly for 1996 Land Cruiser and is a few dollars less and includes the level sensor. Only 4 pieces of this number are left in the USA. It will be discontinued after stock is depleted and only the more expensive part (84460-60020) replacement will be available. Feel free to check out our pricing at www.oemgenuineparts.com , include the PROMO Code CRUISER1 for an additional 5% discount.

Last edited:
You can order Toyota part# 47220-60070. This is the current part number for the Master Cylinder Assembly for 1996 Land Cruiser and is a few dollars less and includes the level sensor. Only 4 pieces of this number are left in the USA. It will be discontinued after stock is depleted and only the more expensive part (84460-60020) replacement will be available.

There is no way that you know 47220-60070 will be discontinued when the 4 in the US are ordered unless you work for TMS, USA in Plano, Texas. Dealership personnel do not know discontinuation information in the parts master until it does indeed become discontinued with the "DISCONTINUED" designation. The reservoir only has a class code of E5 which means it has a way to go.

47220-60070 is the reservoir assy.

47201-60551 is the master cylinder assy itself which would be stupid to buy from Toyota when the Aisin Seiki iteration is available for about $110 from Amazon.com

An E5 code denotes a slow moving part that is only stocked in Ontario, CA. That is usually followed by the F code when stock is near depleted which generally means a discontinuation of the part. I've been at this Toyota Dealer for 30 years and know the stock codes well.
That being said, I suggest you purchase the unit from Amazon. We could not come close to beating their price.

Thanks. I looked under the hood and noticed the wire below not being connected to the Aisen replacement the PO had installed. I don't know when it came off, but before I started dissecting it, I thought I would look and see what my options were (I don't make assumptions on cost of replacement parts anymore :crybaby:)

Here's where I scratch my head though. I would assume that the brake light would come on, or there would be a code or something telling me I was low or out of brake fluid. That is not the case. There are no codes or any indications that a wire is off -- unless you eyeball it under the hood. Any thoughts on why it wouldn't register?

IMG_0314.JPG

Thanks. I looked under the hood and noticed the wire below not being connected to the Aisen replacement the PO had installed. ...

Looks original, yellowed reservoir, lines don't look like they have been messed with, etc.

... Here's where I scratch my head though. I would assume that the brake light would come on, or there would be a code or something telling me I was low or out of brake fluid. That is not the case. There are no codes or any indications that a wire is off -- unless you eyeball it under the hood. Any thoughts on why it wouldn't register?

The light wont come on with the wire broken.

Great, thanks very much. I guess I misunderstood how the switch works. Never had a need to figure it out. Good to know a break in the circuit doesn't trigger a CEL.

I'm having the same problem with the brake fluid float sensor/switch. I have figured out that this is a normally open circuit and that it closes (and activates the dash warning light) when the circuit is closed due to low fluid level activating the float switch. Has anyone had luck finding a replacement switch/cap?

Can't you just unplug it?
Or jumper the plug if normaly closed.

How much do you really NEED a brake fluid level sensor....

Good question whitrzac. The answer really depends on how much it will cost to replace. Anything over $50 and I certainly will just bypass the warning sensor and just ensure fluid is topped off visually.

Did all years come with fluid float sensor/switch master cylinder caps? The reason i ask, my 94 has a plain screw on cap with no wires going to it, and no float inside the fluid once you remove the cap.

Did all years come with fluid float sensor/switch master cylinder caps? The reason i ask, my 94 has a plain screw on cap with no wires going to it, and no float inside the fluid once you remove the cap.

The early type has the sensor in the reservoir.

The early type has the sensor in the reservoir.
Funny you should say that, i looked at a 93 the other day, and his truck had a cap with the wires going to it that looked just like the one in this photo. The only other difference between the one in this photo, and his, was his master cylinder fluid reservoir looked to be a little bit longer, and a little different shape.
img_0314-jpg.1839332

Sure enough it was the fluid level sensor causing the BRAKE light warning to illuminate. When I disconnected the wires leading from the cap to the harness about 8 inches away thereby breaking the circuit, the dash light went out and stayed out. As I mentioned earlier, this is a normally open circuit designed to close only when fluid is low leading to the warning light coming on.

I've abandoned the idea of searching for a difficult to find and outrageously priced part and am just going to go rogue/old school.

I've abandoned the idea of searching for a difficult to find and outrageously priced part and am just going to go rogue/old school.
Why not pick up a used one from the parting out forum for a couple of bucks?

I may just snip the whole thing and just use the cap with standard visual inspection. I don't feel the need to have my dash tell me. My initial concern was a loose wire under the hood. I never trust those .... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom