Part-out Value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
A friend of mine offered to pass along his very rusty (but otherwise well-kept) FJ60 for the tune of $1500.

I've parted out a few cars in the past (mostly R107 Mercedes) and made a few bucks while helping out the enthusiast community.

Are there more than $1500 worth of parts on a rusted out 60?

Depends a lot on how far up the rust goes, mileage, and the condition of the interior. Radiator, dash pad, switches, instrument bezel, seat fabric, door cards, headliner, emissions control switches... it can add up fast. $1,500 seems a bit strong.

Stock to my knowledge, runs and drives nicely.

Maybe. depends on how bad everything else is and if you happen to be near to potential buyers. When you have to factor in the hassle of shipping or freight...even if you are paid for it....the effort involved can subtract from financial gain pretty fast.

Things of value:

Axles
engine
transmission
transfer case
D pillar vents
Fender vents
Dash if uncracked
Seats and carpets if not faded or torn to shreds
Marker lights, rear turn signal lenses if Toyota and in good shape
wheels

If you ignore the cost of your labor you might break even...or if you are in an area where people really really want and will pay whatever amount for parts then you might make a profit. but Once you factor in the many hours of personal labor to take things out and prepare them for shipment it might not seem like such a sweet deal.

Post some pics and you'll have people asking for pieces before you even buy it.

If it's in MA and can be driven safely to NH, I might be interested if you don't want it.

Yes, post pics. I'm 45 from Boston and would come grab some parts if in good shape. Especially if you happen to have a good brown dash pad.

different value on later parts than earlier, what year 60?

To me, $1500 is high for a rusty parts vehicle (there’s a reason wrecking yards only pay $300-$400). That said, you might find it more rewarding to clean the truck up, do some repairs and make it complete; then resell it as a restoration project.

I recently bought an original 1983 with intentions to harvest some pieces for myself and sell the rest... it’s now in my garage getting panels replaced, and interior cleaned and sorted. Part Out or Save? - 1983 FJ60

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom