Park and drive at the same time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here's the deal. 94 fzj80 thinks it's in drive and park the same time. The result is it will only give me 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. No first gear and the torque converter won't lock up in 4th to give me highways speeds at a reasonable rpm. I can select 1st manually, but it won't do it on it's own. The gear selector lights in the cluster tell me that the truck is in drive and park at the same time when I've selected either drive or park. If I select reverse, neutral, 2nd or low the selector lights act normal.

So far my guesses are the neutral/park switch or a bad ground somewhere. Has anyone had this happen or have any thoughts?

Thanks

I think you're on the right track. I'd check the neutral switch first. If that checks out, it could be a short or break in the harness, or worst case a stuffed ect ecu.

For anyone running into a similar problem later, this turned out to be simple fix. The wiring harness for the neutral start switch, which is located in a pretty awkward spot under the intake manifold and on top of the bell housing, was full up with water. Some compressed air and some grease, things are back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom