Painting Underside of New Floor Pans ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replaced my rotted out floor pans with new 16 gauge pans from CCOT. They came with what appears to be a heavy coat of gray primer. We're repainting the entire inner tub, but I'm not sure what to do on the underside. I'm in Texas so no rustbelt or road salt concerns. The body shop guy said he'd recommend just applying undercoating directly over the primer. Does that sound reasonable? Seems like they should be painted first.

Paint it first since he's painting the rest of the rig. Shouldn't be much more work and even though you aren't in the rust belt, you might travel to somewhere that is.

i always put on 2-3 good coats of paint on everything no matter what even if you brush it on. on the under side after paint i use a chipguard that give it a hard shell over the paint look neat and clean. a good brand is tex-coat transtar compliant in 50 states spray can # is 4313

Paint seems like a better choice than undercoating. Undercoating will sometimes turn loose in chunks and look like crap later.

Paint seems like a better choice than undercoating. Undercoating will sometimes turn loose in chunks and look like crap later.

That was my thinking. I've never had any undercoating with staying power. Even the factory applied stuff seems to begin falling off after a few years.

I'd epoxy primer it first and then paint. You can then spray on some undercoating or bedliner for chip prevention/noise abatement.

I'd epoxy primer it first and then paint. You can then spray on some undercoating or bedliner for chip prevention/noise abatement.

Dave, the floor pans are coated with epoxy primer and it appears to be a thick layer. I'm gonna paint over the primer. On my 40 the cat is directly under the DS floor pan and I'm not convinced that undercoating or bedliner could withstand the heat, but will investigate further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom