Paint Pro ?: Thinning Rustoleum Paint

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by BladeRunner80, Mar 5, 2007.

1. BladeRunner80

BladeRunner80

What should I use to thin rustoleum enamel paint to work in my airbrush, and what parts do I use. Should I go two parts paint to one part thinner? I have a bunch of synthetic reducer, would that work okay?

I need to repaint the steering wheel column and some other stuff, its been a while since I used basic paint in it.

Thanks!

2. kbill45

kbill45

rustoleum

Use regular paint thinner. If it is real cold I use a small amount of lacquer thinner. For what you are doing I would just use the Industrial spray cans from Home Depot. Bill

3. my64fj40

my64fj40

I would recommend just rattle canning it. On something that minor your not going to see any real difference in finish by using air.

If your dead set on using air, I would go 3:1 using whatever reducer ya got. Doubt it will make a difference with rustoleum paint.

4. BladeRunner80

BladeRunner80

I have an airbrush that I'm going to use. Usually I would just use a rattle can, but my airbrush gives me a little more control. I could only imagine the mess I would make using my paint gun!

Thanks for the tips!

5. llih

llih

I would think it would depend on the temp. When I sprayed my trailer (hvlp) I think I thinned the Rustoleum with xylene. Rustoleum has a lot of cr*p in it. Took a bit of work to clean up the gun. I sprayed a lot of parts with zero rust and it sprays nice. No junk in the paint. Gun cleans up easy. It just doesn't have a gloss finish.

6. BladeRunner80

BladeRunner80

cool. Thanks for all the input. I'm use to using the mixture for my auto paint, it's been forever since I used regular old enamel paint in my airbrush (I got it when I was a kid for painting models). I used it to paint the interior/dash of my 40 and it worked really well. Its a alot easier to control the paint flow and spread rather then using a rattle can.

7. Full_Throttle

Full_Throttle

I painted a 64 passenger buss and a 1987 volvo last year using rustolium paint I bought by the gallon from Ace Hardware. Rustolium's website said to use Naphta as a thinner, so I did. Total cost of painting the volvo was like $35 or something like that and it turned out fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.