Paint Pro ?: Thinning Rustoleum Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bladerunner80.com
What should I use to thin rustoleum enamel paint to work in my airbrush, and what parts do I use. Should I go two parts paint to one part thinner? I have a bunch of synthetic reducer, would that work okay?

I need to repaint the steering wheel column and some other stuff, its been a while since I used basic paint in it.

Thanks!

rustoleum

Use regular paint thinner. If it is real cold I use a small amount of lacquer thinner. For what you are doing I would just use the Industrial spray cans from Home Depot. Bill

I would recommend just rattle canning it. On something that minor your not going to see any real difference in finish by using air.

If your dead set on using air, I would go 3:1 using whatever reducer ya got. Doubt it will make a difference with rustoleum paint.

I have an airbrush that I'm going to use. Usually I would just use a rattle can, but my airbrush gives me a little more control. I could only imagine the mess I would make using my paint gun!

Thanks for the tips!

I would think it would depend on the temp. When I sprayed my trailer (hvlp) I think I thinned the Rustoleum with xylene. Rustoleum has a lot of cr*p in it. Took a bit of work to clean up the gun. I sprayed a lot of parts with zero rust and it sprays nice. No junk in the paint. Gun cleans up easy. It just doesn't have a gloss finish.

cool. Thanks for all the input. I'm use to using the mixture for my auto paint, it's been forever since I used regular old enamel paint in my airbrush (I got it when I was a kid for painting models). I used it to paint the interior/dash of my 40 and it worked really well. Its a alot easier to control the paint flow and spread rather then using a rattle can.

I painted a 64 passenger buss and a 1987 volvo last year using rustolium paint I bought by the gallon from Ace Hardware. Rustolium's website said to use Naphta as a thinner, so I did. Total cost of painting the volvo was like $35 or something like that and it turned out fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom