I want my next paint job to be better = tougher. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a year or so, I did a complete frame off color change on my 97 chevy. Used crossfire/finish 1 products from Napa

Here's most of it. Epoxy primer, 2k primer, sealer, topcoat, clear.
Screenshot_20231118_210758_Gallery.jpg

The paint job turned out great, but I think it just chips too easily. The clear and paint chip off, leaving one of the primer layers to show.

20211022_150654.jpg

We were just painting in my shop and experienced some fish eyes initially. So we stopped and got some fish eye eliminator and used it with every cup we mixed from there on out. Not sure if it was related, just thought I'd mention it.

That paint wasn't necessarily cheap, but it was close to the low end for name brand Martin Senour at around $150/gal.

Was my problem related to prep, application, or product selection?

Recommendations for a better job on my next one?

20231118_122504.jpg

Unfortunately, many things can go wrong with a paint job even with quality materials and it can be difficult to sort through the variables. Some initial things that come to mind are temperature, humidity, time between coats, and any prep work between coats. Also, there is a difference between painting at home and painting in a booth with temperature control and a "finish bake."

Not waiting long enough or waiting too long (flash time) between coats can definitely give adhesion issues. Without the "bake" at the end, paint can take a long time to fully cure. Temperatures and humidity further from "ideal" or mixtures being off can cause issues as well.

Epoxy is very friendly and compatible so it sounds like the base/clear are lifting because of prep

Anything can cause fisheye’s according to a friend of mine whose been doing it for 35 years. Any product that includes silicon including hair gel, deodorant, tire shine, etc can get airborne and cause a fisheye. Wd40 and pbblaster used on the vehicle can get splattered on to the paint surface from previous work also. Wind will carry these particles where you don’t want them. You just have to be hyper vigilant when it comes to these products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom