Paint cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thats cheap.

sounds good to me.If you can get it cheaper, go for it.

ya thats cheap. ive payed 900 bucks just for the paint once(dupont). normally i would pay for everything in excess of 700 bucks

I suggest shopping around to see what else you can get and for what price. You may end up back at Shermin Williams but I would at least price out PPG and Dupont, especially some of their shop brands.

x2, you should be able to get a gallon around 60 plus catalyst and reducer. Ask about "second" line brands at sherwin, ppg, or dupont. I know around here o'reilly's carries one of the off brands manufactured by one of the above.

i would research dupont's nason line of automotive paints. quality is comparable to chromabase (the good stuff) but at a cheaper price.

edit...not really appropriate for frames and such unless you are going for looks

Last edited:
sherwin williams

There is a huge reason we stopped using all of their products.
About 9 yrs. ago I had 4 paint failures, and the company (swp) would NOT back their products. Needless to say , try www.diamondvogel.com . They have a fantastic array of poor man's car paints that are very durable.

I did my frame with their stratum /pinnacle system.
Sherwin Williams Paints/SWP=sure will peal!

Don't use em. Let em stay in the little wallpaper gig. Yes I hate the evil empire known as SWP. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.:popcorn:

I have some POR 15 to use on the frame before any finish coat, but according to the manager of the SW store the chassis black he is recommending is there top of the line bla bla durable bla bla paint. Too many brands and lines within the brands to make any sense of it all. Reminds me of the mattress industry, designed to confuse, mislead and make it next to impossible to comparison shop. After blasting the frame today, I think just about anything worth a darn would stick to it. I looks like brand new, amazing what a huge IR compressor and the right blast pot can do.

I have some POR 15 to use on the frame before any finish coat, but according to the manager of the SW store the chassis black he is recommending is there top of the line bla bla durable bla bla paint. Too many brands and lines within the brands to make any sense of it all. Reminds me of the mattress industry, designed to confuse, mislead and make it next to impossible to comparison shop. After blasting the frame today, I think just about anything worth a darn would stick to it. I looks like brand new, amazing what a huge IR compressor and the right blast pot can do.
The blast scheme is exactly what I did to my frame. I went with the gray stratum(2-component primer) and the pinnacle 460 satin black.
I sprayed both coats the same day. And as I said, swp don't know squat. I feel as true about this as white shark does about home depot.

You get what you pay for, and diamond vogel is geared for your particular application. It is also more durable than most ppg's , centaris(both over priced) . Now Diamond Vogel may not measure up to what you want on the body finish. But wait till ya get to that stage.:popcorn:

After blasting the frame today, I think just about anything worth a darn would stick to it. I looks like brand new, amazing what a huge IR compressor and the right blast pot can do.

Anything will probably stick right now, but that doesn't mean it will stay on there ;)

I wouldn't use anything other than POR 15 or the fore-mentioned Rust Bullet products. There are other similar products that are probably just as good such as Zero Rust.

I would believe a single thing a paint salesmen tries to tell me, especially when they start that top of the line b.s. Use something that's tried and true and you'll be good to go.

The blast scheme is exactly what I did to my frame. I went with the gray stratum(2-component primer) and the pinnacle 460 satin black.
I sprayed both coats the same day. And as I said, swp don't know squat. I feel as true about this as white shark does about home depot.

You get what you pay for, and diamond vogel is geared for your particular application. It is also more durable than most ppg's , centaris(both over priced) . Now Diamond Vogel may not measure up to what you want on the body finish. But wait till ya get to that stage.:popcorn:

i already have some primer from SW, grey epoxy i think. can i use that under Vogel or would that be a mistake?

inter-coat adhesion

i already have some primer from SW, grey epoxy i think. can i use that under Vogel or would that be a mistake?

I am not sure if you have a diamond vogel store near you. If you do , ask them if the swp would be ok as an undercoat for pinnacle etc. I do know if you would have primed your frame with stratum, you would have less than 72 hrs. to topcoat, otherwise, start from scratch.:popcorn:

I am not sure if you have a diamond vogel store near you. If you do , ask them if the swp would be ok as an undercoat for pinnacle etc. I do know if you would have primed your frame with stratum, you would have less than 72 hrs. to topcoat, otherwise, start from scratch.:popcorn:

i did not see a store listed on their web site. the SW primer is the same way so i have to make a decision. i have the SW paint sitting at their store waiting to be picked up.

For an undercoat/frame application, zerorust will beat POR-15 and Rustbullet as it performs as well but at 1/2 $$. $42 later, I have a gallon of it sitting in the garage.

i did not see a store listed on their web site. the SW primer is the same way so i have to make a decision. i have the SW paint sitting at their store waiting to be picked up.
I have a store listing, however dv seems prodominant in the west and midwest.

The main toll free # is 1-800-728-6435. I may post up all the stores for other members. Not sure yet.....:popcorn:

I know knothing about paint. this is the first frame I have shot, for a buddy of mine. I shot this with PPG's cheap-line of chassis black and a REALLY crappy siphon feed gun that came with my crappy compressor. Two coats, outside, at 50 degrees-and I still have a half gallon. The gallon cost $36. The primer was an industiral zinc base metal primer for heavy salt areas from a friends industrial truck shop. They use it on Propane gas truck frames and axles.

We had sandblasted it with ground granite, from the same place.

I have no idea about the longevity of it, but it went on really well. This is the matte color, but I layed it on a bit heavy, and it settled out to be on the gloss side.

Last edited:
Green

I really want to paint my FJ Kelly Green, off topic......maybe, but relavent none the less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom