P0430 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Has anyone had the code P0430? My 2006 LC keeps throwing that code and the dealership is saying to replace the catalytic converter. That is so expensive.

Any help is appreciated.

There are several threads on here about other less expensive things you can try; new gas cap, o2 sensors, etc. Just use the search and I'm sure you'll find the threads.

I did the Gallon of Lacquer thinner in the gas tank (google it) and it worked for me.

I didn't do it to my 100 LC. I'm not THAT stupid..

Did it to a Honda 3.5 Vtec. Wanted to prove to the Honda guys that this engine isn't bulletproof. They won..

Possibly one of the post cat o2 sensors is bad, they are cheap if you want to replace it and see. Usually it will tell you which it is (bank 1 vs bank 2)

Change downstream 02 sensor first. If it still continues, then you might have to change cats. You can install after market ones.

Ahoj, mal som rovnaký kód. Ukázalo sa, že problém bol spôsobený únikom výfukových plynov pod snímačom O2. Pečať sa zlomila. Skontrolujte tesnosť celého výfuku!

Hello all,

Has anyone had the code P0430? My 2006 LC keeps throwing that code and the dealership is saying to replace the catalytic converter. That is so expensive.

Any help is appreciated.
It's likely a bad CAT.
But for sure try cleaning with a CAT cleaner first. After which, take a high RPM HWY drive at 4.500 RPM (gear transmission down) or more. Make sure you've good oil first. Keep RPM high for 3 minutes then drop RPMs back by shift to drive for 3 minutes. Then 7 minutes high RPM and drop back 7 minutes. Than 10 minutes. This helps cook gunk off CATs along with air fuel & O2 sensors.

Then, Clear codes.

If P0430 returns, likely a bad CAT.

CATs do not just go bad in 100 series. Something external caused it to go bad. That must be corrected or it will fail again.

Coolant in exhaust.
Running rich, dump fuel in CAT. CAT can burn out.
Hard blow to CAT.
Exhaust leak upstream or at CAT.
Prolonged idling. Read your owners manual.

Perhaps a very special issue, that must be addressed:

It's likely a bad CAT.
But for sure try cleaning with a CAT cleaner first. After which, take a high RPM HWY drive at 4.500 RPM (gear transmission down) or more. Make sure you've good oil first. Keep RPM high for 3 minutes then drop RPMs back by shift to drive for 3 minutes. Then 7 minutes high RPM and drop back 7 minutes. Than 10 minutes. This helps cook gunk off CATs along with air fuel & O2 sensors.

Then, Clear codes.

If P0430 returns, likely a bad CAT.

CATs do not just go bad in 100 series. Something external caused it to go bad. That must be corrected or it will fail again.

Coolant in exhaust.
Running rich, dump fuel in CAT. CAT can burn out.
Hard blow to CAT.
Exhaust leak upstream or at CAT.
Prolonged idling. Read your owners manual.

Perhaps a very special issue, that must be addressed:
Any specific CAT cleaner you recommend or you have used?

I used one bottle of cataclean but code came back again. Will try another one later.

VERY VERY likely your CAT is bad. You can look into CAT and see if burned up. You'll need a bore scope (drain snake camera works), look through o2 ports. Most bad CAT you can see bad, exception has been 06-07 CATS.

Here's and 05 CAT I replaced last month. Bad MAF, richening fuel mix burned it out.
Image_2023-08-28 19_41_47_017.JPG

Image_2023-08-28 19_42_35_145.JPG

MAF. This MAF was unmistakable bad, w/DTC also. Most show no signs of bad, weak not even DTC.
IMG_7555.JPEG

You could try 2 cans of 44K in a full tank next. It will not be a total waste if CAT DTC returns. As you'll still benefit from your fuel system, combustion cambers and o2 sensors will all get a good cleaning also. Replacing o2 sensors a good idea when replacing CATs. Replacing before you replace a CAT, will ensure it's not a lazy o2 causing CAT DTC.

There is a 25% off wholesale at Southeastern Toyota's, the 25-29th. 25% off and free shipping from Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories: Official Online Store Serra Toyota of Decatur - https://autoparts.toyotaofdecatur.com/ I like Decatur best of all online sellers. The guy there re-pacts the Toyota box, reduces shipping damage to near zero. Fact in over 20 FDS, not one damaged. Even Radiator come in great condition.

BTW: I see MAF sensors take out more CAT in the 98-05, than any other cause in good 4.7L engine with good compression. Oxygen (air) leak in exhaust (exhaust leak). Is said to take out CATs, but I've not seen it. I've seen many with exhaust leak.

Kept in mind you must find the cause it went bad and correct, or you'll damage it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom