P0335…to a bent valve (update...and it's not good) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a search. Didn’t come with much. So dash lit up. CEL, VSC, etc. Wont start. Starter clicks but that’s it. Cleared the code. No start condition. Starter just clicks. Could it be starter or will this code disable the truck? Thanks in advance.

Guy

Battery voltage? I’ve only had this code when I had a dead battery. Low battery voltage can also cause a click but no crank condition

Any other codes?

Pulled the battery and Had the battery tested. It tested fine. But I question autozone. It wouldn’t jump start either.

How many miles? Starter is my first guess if battery checks out and jump start doesn’t turn the engine over.

165k. Talking with the wife…all was fine. She was parking, all of the sudden when she was reversing into the stall, it stuttered, didn’t die, dash lit up, then it died. No signs of a bad starter or battery or anything else until today.

So just to be clear, the engine died while it was running? And then would not restart?

And not only not restart, it doesn’t even try to turn over? Just a click?

Does the dash go blank on click?

Correct. Died while it was running. Would not restart.

Doesn’t even try to turn over. It just clicks.

Dash doesn’t go blank on click. But it dims if I recall. Power seats are functional.

Tow truck driver tested the battery. 5.1v. Unable to jump it. It doesn’t even try to turnover when jumping it. Just clicks.

It’s at Teton Toyota now. I had to have it towed. I’ll keep y’all posted. Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I could get it sorted. Maybe it’s just a bad battery but the battery is barely 18 mos old. And our winter hasn’t been that bad. Anyway hopefully it’s not something major.

Guy

Correct. Died while it was running. Would not restart.

Doesn’t even try to turn over. It just clicks.

Dash doesn’t go blank on click. But it dims if I recall. Power seats are functional.

Tow truck driver tested the battery. 5.1v. Unable to jump it. It doesn’t even try to turnover when jumping it. Just clicks.

It’s at Teton Toyota now. I had to have it towed. I’ll keep y’all posted. Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I could get it sorted. Maybe it’s just a bad battery but the battery is barely 18 mos old. And our winter hasn’t been that bad. Anyway hopefully it’s not something major.

Guy
Perhaps alternator and/or bad connections to the battery? If the battery was 5.1v, plan on a new one anyway. How did Autozone test that as good? It’s possible a new battery with clean terminals will fix you right up. Here’s hoping…….

Sure seems like AutoZone didn’t get it right or maybe there was corrosion on the battery terminals. Following as Teton toyota is our closest toyota dealer from Tetonia, ID

Sure seems like AutoZone didn’t get it right or maybe there was corrosion on the battery terminals. Following as Teton toyota is our closest toyota dealer from Tetonia, ID
Yeah they weren’t even entertaining giving me a new battery even though mine is under warranty. Terminals are clean.

I would have preferred to get it to Overland Cruisers in Bozeman. But with this scenario it just wasn’t possible. If it was running and driving it would have gone to Bozeman tonight. Teton Toyota has a few master techs that know their way around the 5.7. I’m hopeful they’ll get it sorted.

Because it was running, stuttered, and died…and now won’t crank (starter will click) can an assumption be made it’s not the starter?

If the crankshaft position sensor is bad, from what I’m reading, this can lead to a no-start condition. Similar to what I’m experiencing. Just trying to make sense of things.

Guaranteed the battery is bad, if not from
A bad cell then from being undercharged if it’s below 10.8V. Alternator might be bad too and if the battery is low could be the source of your issue, but swap the battery, fire it up and run it for a few minutes to ensure it’s charged, clear any codes, then restart and then check the voltage with a multimeter and make sure it’s getting >13.8V on cold start

Bad crank sensor can lead to “no start” but does that mean it won’t actually start the engine and keep running? Or won’t turn over in the first place?

Ie “no crank” condition?

Bad crank sensor can lead to “no start” but does that mean it won’t actually start the engine and keep running? Or won’t turn over in the first place?

Ie “no crank” condition?
The sensor will “fail” if the battery voltage is low. Even after you swap the battery the sensor in my limited experience won’t reset and determine the correct position until you start once, then it will stall, and then it’s correct. Pretty sure if you swap the battery and clear codes then start the truck the sensor code comes back. But clear it after a successful start and it’s gone.

I’m not sure offhand what behavior you’d see if the sensor went bad. But that sensor code is a red herring most of the time and is triggered by low voltage at startup

I’m betting it is just the battery. Make sure you get the old one back so you can get it warrantied at AutoZone

Thanks for all the input guys. My gut says battery as well. Fingers and toes crossed that’s what it is. I’ll report back and update y’all. Thanks!

So...I was hoping this would be install a new battery and off I go. I just got a call from Teton Toyota. New battery installed. It starts...then sputters and dies. It will not run. A few attempts were made and it will not run. It just dies after a few seconds. They are concerned about the bottom end as the (master) tech said it was knocking. I've never had a knock...never. Nothing symptomatic of an issue with the bottom end. This is so weird. We're going to drain the oil and look for debris. If no debris, compression test. I'm a bit gutted right now. I'm hoping oil is clean and compression is fine (obviously). This just doesn't seem right. It has not thrown any codes since the initial P0335.

Damaged plug in Cylinder 7. Something came into contact with the plug/cylinder head. I’m trying to digest this and am at a loss right now.

Cylinder 7 plug.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom