P/S cooler assembly --

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by erics_bruisers, Jul 27, 2003.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

Hey all --

So I spent the larger part of my weekend with my 80 -- flushing the coolant system, swappin ATF, P/S and P/B fluids for synthetic, etc. --

-- pretty easy, except for the P/S cooler assembly replacement --

I noticed a few weeks ago that this was getting pretty rusty and in parts it looks pretty nasty, so I ordered a new one (picture attached) -- this thing was NOT cheap, coming in at around $200 --

-- well, yesterday, I attempted to swap out the old for the new -- that lasted for a painful couple of hours -- I was under my truck, loosening screws which were basically upside down from my vantage point, all in the end to realize I couldn't get the old assembly out/put the new one in without pulling the radiator up -- something I really didn't want to do at this point --

-- before I go to my dealer, is there any one who has easily and successfully replaced this messy assembly? It looks like it goes bad pretty quick (well, I do have a '94 -- ::)), so I'm sure someone else has run in to this --

eric

2. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

Just spoke to the dealer -- we're looking at 2 hrs. labor on Wednesday... :'( :'( :'(

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Eric,

I spent some time under mine yesterday and it looks like the radiator has to come out. :mad:

Dan.

4. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

Thanks for this, Dan -- I'll expect 2 hours --

Also, I just placed my three-month foster in Watsonville, Calif -- he turned out VERY handsome -- a great dog -- used a transport service (feathers and furs vanlines) and cost only $310 -- split it with his (Beau's) momma --

eric

5. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I just called the mechanic on this -- he said it is a PAIN to put in -- :eek: :eek: :eek:

-- he said it was nothing to do with pulling the radiator, but instead he needed to "lift the frame" a bit --

-- hope he doesn't scratch anything under there -- KIDDING! :p

eric

6. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I just got back -- the mechanic (who's a great guy) said he had to lift the body off the frame by loosening the two front mounts (and maybe more) -- he had to remove the cooling fan to do this (so it didn't hit the shroud) -- then he slipped the cooler assy. sideways out of the truck --

-- 2.5 hours labor he charged me, Toyota charges 4 --

-- back in business!

:)

eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.