P/S cooler assembly -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all --

So I spent the larger part of my weekend with my 80 -- flushing the coolant system, swappin ATF, P/S and P/B fluids for synthetic, etc. --

-- pretty easy, except for the P/S cooler assembly replacement --

I noticed a few weeks ago that this was getting pretty rusty and in parts it looks pretty nasty, so I ordered a new one (picture attached) -- this thing was NOT cheap, coming in at around $200 --

-- well, yesterday, I attempted to swap out the old for the new -- that lasted for a painful couple of hours -- I was under my truck, loosening screws which were basically upside down from my vantage point, all in the end to realize I couldn't get the old assembly out/put the new one in without pulling the radiator up -- something I really didn't want to do at this point --

-- before I go to my dealer, is there any one who has easily and successfully replaced this messy assembly? It looks like it goes bad pretty quick (well, I do have a '94 -- ::)), so I'm sure someone else has run in to this --

eric

Just spoke to the dealer -- we're looking at 2 hrs. labor on Wednesday... :'( :'( :'(

Eric,

I spent some time under mine yesterday and it looks like the radiator has to come out. :mad:

Dan.

Thanks for this, Dan -- I'll expect 2 hours --

Also, I just placed my three-month foster in Watsonville, Calif -- he turned out VERY handsome -- a great dog -- used a transport service (feathers and furs vanlines) and cost only $310 -- split it with his (Beau's) momma --

eric

I just called the mechanic on this -- he said it is a PAIN to put in -- :eek: :eek: :eek:

-- he said it was nothing to do with pulling the radiator, but instead he needed to "lift the frame" a bit --

-- hope he doesn't scratch anything under there -- KIDDING! :p

eric

I just got back -- the mechanic (who's a great guy) said he had to lift the body off the frame by loosening the two front mounts (and maybe more) -- he had to remove the cooling fan to do this (so it didn't hit the shroud) -- then he slipped the cooler assy. sideways out of the truck --

-- 2.5 hours labor he charged me, Toyota charges 4 --

-- back in business!

:)

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom