P-rated Toyo OC ATIII? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put a set on a ‘19 last month. They were louder than I was expecting, just alight more then a KO2 of same size.

Typical Toyo ride, very smooth, little stiff so good on the turns but meh on the bumps, little slippery when wet.

Great California tire. I still prefer KO2s for the Carolinas.

I was set to buy these. The slippery when wet thing isn't good. Wonder how they are in snow.
I'm looking at The Bridgestone Revo III's now.

I was set to buy these. The slippery when wet thing isn't good. Wonder how they are in snow.

I read that REVO3 is not all that quiet, but cool looking tread design.

Depending on what size you need, i think that Michelin Defender is a better tire. (I would not get Michelin LTX AT2 either.)

(I agree with TacoCruiser above...not sure about other sizes, but stock sized KO2 is pretty damn quiet. I have 21k miles on them...wearing great and still quiet.)

Slippery might be subjective. They are rated 4.5/5 in wet conditions, 5/5 in snow. I live in the PNW, wet driving is definitely a thing. TBD...

I had Revo2's on my 3rd gen 4Runner about a decade ago. They were quieter than my Nitto RGs and did well in rain and were fine in the kind of light snow we'd get in Virginia at the time (a few inches). I could manage the tight/steep switchbacks up our mountain without needing chains, unlike with street tires. They fared poorly going down if it was icy though

I went through two sets of Revo II's on my 80. They were great all around. But the V8 has more power and I like speed! :bang:

I read that REVO3 is not all that quiet, but cool looking tread design.

Depending on what size you need, i think that Michelin Defender is a better tire. (I would not get Michelin LTX AT2 either.)

(I agree with TacoCruiser above...not sure about other sizes, but stock sized KO2 is pretty damn quiet. I have 21k miles on them...wearing great and still quiet.)
Wait until you get through half their tread.....NVH increases exponentially.

Slippery might be subjective. They are rated 4.5/5 in wet conditions, 5/5 in snow. I live in the PNW, wet driving is definitely a thing. TBD...

Agreed and I'm looking for confident wet performance too. Tires need to be scrubbed in before they show their real character. Will share back once I get some rain down here.

Wait until you get through half their tread.....NVH increases exponentially.
Yeah I remember that with the Revo2's. Then again my Nitto RGs are very noisy and I'm at about half tread depth.

We should start a separate thread where we all use a decibel meter on our phones and record our tires at various speeds and % wear...

Yeah I remember that with the Revo2's. Then again my Nitto RGs are very noisy and I'm at about half tread depth.

We should start a separate thread where we all use a decibel meter on our phones and record our tires at various speeds and % wear...
Thought the RGs were supposed to be quieter than KO2s?

I dunno. Even when new I could distinctly notice a higher pitch hum once I hit about 15mph that would increase. They're not terrible when new, but not quiet either. Mine have definitely gotten quite a bit louder after 43k miles, despite regular 5 tire rotations. I ultimately expect to replace them before next winter, at which point they'll likely have close to 60k on them.

My wife’s MDX has Michelin Defender P-metric...definitely louder after about 25k miles, even with fancy active noise cancellation. So, noisy with age is an issue with most (if not all) tires.

Very much so. My experience was putting P rated Toyo AT3 on a 200, doing a drive around the backroads here in western North Carolina. Then swapping the same size tire of a KO2 on and doing the same trip, back to back. That's not say that you will feel uneasy about the Toyo AT3s, far from it. But when I had the availability to test back to back, it was slightly noticeable. When I think about when I lived in El Paso for a few years. Honestly the best tire I ever drove on the roads during the random heavy rains storms, I was most impressed with the Cooper STT Pros. So that made me think that a lot of silica in a tire was pretty nice. Makes me think Falken AT3W would work better for you. That's what I put on my brother Tacoma in Florida, and they handle wet roads wonderful without being aggressive. (only the p-rates Falkens get silica though, the LT Falkens kinda suck)

That was not my experience when I back to back did Ridge grapplers on Evo wheels and KO2s on Rock warriors, both in 285/75r17. Both tires had 10,000 miles on them, and I was also shocked. But the KO2 were absolutely quieter.

One thing ring true for me time and time again. If I lived in a more dry area with lot of winding roads, I would lean toward Toyo/Nitto. If i lived in an area with ore pot holes and damp roads, I would choose BFG or Coopers.

Again though, all these tires are pretty great. So you really can't go wrong. And, unlike almost every other modification, you will get another chance to buy tires again. They are a wear item, and won't last forever like a winch bumper, suspension, or skids/sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom