Owl Expedition Media Mount Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Documenting the install procedures for the Owl Expedition Media Mount, there are instructions on the Owl Expedition website but they are specific to the 100 series, and the GX is significantly different.

Link to thread with more info:

Start by removing the Nav/ Radio cluster from the dash. I had the dash apart recently to install a bluetooth module, so getting it apart this time went a bit faster, start by removing the two trim pieces on either side of the center console. The one on the left comes off easily, just lift up on the back edge of it, then pry up back to front:
IMG_7614.JPG

The one on the right is bit harder, you can get it with a plastic trim pry bar, or with your fingers by lifting up on the center console from the cup holder, this will pop up the console and trim piece together, then you can push the console back down and pry the trim piece off the rest of the way, from back to front.
IMG_7615.JPG
IMG_7616.JPG
IMG_7617.JPG

Next remove the wood trim pieces on either side of the radio by prying the bottom edge rearward, and then once that pops loose work the rest of the trim piece off from bottom to top, unplug 1 electrical connector from the back of each one.
IMG_7618.JPG

IMG_7619.JPG

Next remove the ash tray and cigarette lighter by pulling rearward
IMG_7620.JPG

Remove one 10mm bolt from the electrical connector (this is a captured bolt so it doesnt come out of the connector itself)
IMG_7621.JPG

Remove the other 4 10mm bolts from around the radio, 2 left 2 right, and pull the radio rearward to remove from dash, disconnect all electrical plugs
IMG_7623.JPG

Last edited:
With the radio cluster out now we need to remove the tape deck from the assembly
IMG_7624.JPG

Remove 2 8mm bolts/ screws from both sides of the tape deck
IMG_7625.JPG

Remove 2 8mm bolts/ screws from the drivers side of the nav screen
IMG_7626.JPG

Remove 1 phillips head screw at the bottom of the bracket, and 1 from the top of the bracket
IMG_7627.JPG
IMG_7628.JPG

Last edited:
The bracket can now be removed
IMG_7629.JPG

Pry the tape deck face up from the face trim, Slide the tape deck slightly to the drivers side of the radio, and remove it from the assembly
IMG_7630.JPG

Now remove the face of the tape deck by removing 1 screw from either side, and gently pry the plastic from the metal
IMG_7631.JPG
IMG_7632.JPG

Remove every phillips head screw from the front, back, and sides of the tape deck
IMG_7633.JPG

Last edited:
Continue removing all phillips head screws
IMG_7634.JPG

IMG_7635.JPG

Remove plate from rear of tape deck, and plate from face of tape deck
IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

Now you can gently pry apart to separate the top half from the bottom half of the tape deck case
IMG_7638.JPG

Last edited:
The media mount completely replaces the tape deck
IMG_7639.JPG

Remove 4 phillips screws that attach the guts to the case, and disconnect the ribbon cable
IMG_7640.JPG

Attach the media mount with the 4 provided allen screws and washers
IMG_7641.JPG

Reassemble the tape deck case
IMG_7642.JPG

Test fit the face plate, and mark where the foam tape should go

IMG_7643.JPG

I had to use a credit card to allow the faceplate to slide across the foam tape to reassemble.

Last edited:
Reverse order to re-install the tape deck into the radio assembly
IMG_7644.JPG

Reinstall radio assembly into dash, being sure to reconnect all electrical connections
IMG_7645.JPG

Attach ram ball and ram attachments of your choice, and enjoy your new media mount
IMG_7646.JPG

Last edited:
I have a charging cable on order for my grom bluetooth adapter so I can run power through the tape deck opening to the phone mount. If you plan ahead you should install this while you have everything apart. Hope this helps, the mount works very well, doesnt require any holes to be drilled in the dash, and is very secure.

Kudos to @Ramathorn15

IMG_7613.JPG

Last edited:
I have a charging cable on order for my grom bluetooth adapter so I can run power through the tape deck opening to the phone mount. If you plan ahead you should install this while you have everything apart. Hope this helps, the mount works very well, doesnt require any holes to be drilled in the dash, and is very secure.

Kudos to @Ramathorn15

View attachment 2373013

Thank you for the step by step photos! Great job.

Awesome write-up this is how it should be done! I have had one of those in mind for years and never pull the trigger. I just don't know if I actually want to mount anything there... Let us know what you think.

Thank you for the detailed write up! I just ordered one and a Ram mount for my phone. Are the buttons and knobs on the tape deck slot still active after removing the tape deck?

@Arailt i think so except for the “tape” button. I use a Grom Bluetooth module and listen to Bluetooth 100% of the time so I’m honestly not sure…

I installed mine last night. I can confirm that the AM/SAT, FM, and AUX/CD buttons still function. Radio still functions as it did before, minus the tape deck. Thanks again for the write up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom