Overlanding is the same as camping, right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who cares? Different strokes for different folks.
Don't let a stranger bolting useless s*** on their rig rustles your jimmies that much.
Let people do whatever they want. 🤷‍♂️
You're not wrong

Rustling my Jimmies is my favorite pastime though

Who cares? Different strokes for different folks.
Don't let a stranger bolting useless s*** on their rig rustles your jimmies that much.
Let people do whatever they want. 🤷‍♂️
No rustled jimmies here, but it does make me chuckle a bit...

Kinda like the cars with extreme camber, or donks, not my thing, but do what you want with your own vehicle.

1613960822171.jpeg

1613960911999.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope, I am remaining judgmental and jaded about what others do. I prefer to remain shallow and callous to other peoples decisions that do not align with mine. Nah, not really. People are too funny not to take them with a grain of salt.

First off, this thread is hilarious. I've defined Overlanding for myself as "the pursuit of carrying as many luxury items as you can into the craziest places". I don't think I'm the only one doing this, just more honest about it. I absolutely want a dual battery system and a massive inverter and solar panels, but its so I can run my ice maker and have crushed ice cocktails on top of a mountain or at the beach. Drawer slides are so you can have a pull out kitchen and make a gourmet meal in the woods with some good scenery, not so you can store half a car worth of spare parts and tools and pretend like you are going to rebuild your car on the side of the trail. This is why I do find it a bit silly that so much overland/camping gear is designed to look like its mil-spec paramilitary gear. I feel its especially 5th gen 4runners/Jeepers/Tacomas that tend to look like they're doing convoy runs through Mogadishu. But I get it, a lot of that stuff is just actually very functional and convenient...and I mean looks count for something. Personally I love the safari aesthetic so that's what I go for, its just fun.

What I'm really enjoying laughing at is the catch 22 of big Overland influencers pumping people to get into overlanding to increase their brand and use their affiliates link or purchase sponsor gear and then complain about people giving away gps coordinates, trail location, or camp spots or prices going up. You got to pick one or other.

The difference between the various "styles" of overlanders is best seen by comparing the US group Expedition Overland and the various Australian bro groups like Explore Life, 24/7-4WD and SideTracked Australia. Personally EO is a bit comedic to me, gobs and gobs of money on pretentious overly serious trips. They'll have all the paramilitary gear, the "training", "security" team, name their vehicles and all this echo leader bravo foxtrot crap like theyre not basically just filming a family road trip for youtube. The Australian bros on the otherhand are straight up frat boy party animals and make no bones about it. They're there to have a good time, crack open a cold one at the beach, and have kick back with their mates. The aussie bros dont bother me even with the ludicrously expensive builds and crazy stuff because they dont take themselves that serious and theyre clearly just there to have some fun, the EO type overlanders are just way to serious to me.

First off, this thread is hilarious. I've defined Overlanding for myself as "the pursuit of carrying as many luxury items as you can into the craziest places". I don't think I'm the only one doing this, just more honest about it. I absolutely want a dual battery system and a massive inverter and solar panels, but its so I can run my ice maker and have crushed ice cocktails on top of a mountain or at the beach. Drawer slides are so you can have a pull out kitchen and make a gourmet meal in the woods with some good scenery, not so you can store half a car worth of spare parts and tools and pretend like you are going to rebuild your car on the side of the trail. This is why I do find it a bit silly that so much overland/camping gear is designed to look like its mil-spec paramilitary gear. I feel its especially 5th gen 4runners/Jeepers/Tacomas that tend to look like they're doing convoy runs through Mogadishu. But I get it, a lot of that stuff is just actually very functional and convenient...and I mean looks count for something. Personally I love the safari aesthetic so that's what I go for, its just fun.

What I'm really enjoying laughing at is the catch 22 of big Overland influencers pumping people to get into overlanding to increase their brand and use their affiliates link or purchase sponsor gear and then complain about people giving away gps coordinates, trail location, or camp spots or prices going up. You got to pick one or other.

The difference between the various "styles" of overlanders is best seen by comparing the US group Expedition Overland and the various Australian bro groups like Explore Life, 24/7-4WD and SideTracked Australia. Personally EO is a bit comedic to me, gobs and gobs of money on pretentious overly serious trips. They'll have all the paramilitary gear, the "training", "security" team, name their vehicles and all this echo leader bravo foxtrot crap like theyre not basically just filming a family road trip for youtube. The Australian bros on the otherhand are straight up frat boy party animals and make no bones about it. They're there to have a good time, crack open a cold one at the beach, and have kick back with their mates. The aussie bros dont bother me even with the ludicrously expensive builds and crazy stuff because they dont take themselves that serious and theyre clearly just there to have some fun, the EO type overlanders are just way to serious to me.

Well said.

Last edited:
If overlanding has all the latest bling, what is it called when you purposefully seek out old beat up used equipment that is as old or older than the occupants of the “base camp”? I have reverted back to canvas waxed tents and white gas because it reminds me of our camping trips of my youth. After reading this, I may never bolt anything to the outside of my rig again. Not really but....

Sounds like you're a Hipster Overlander. Should probably see a doctor about that.

If I am a hipster, God help the lot if us. Ha!

Ha! This is a pretty funny thread! I dont camp out of my car. I have a small RV trailer for that. However, I do carry a few items on my roof rack that I feel are necessary for basic off road driving. A small shovel is very useful. I recently helped a lady that was stuck in a sedan on a BLM road that she shouldnt have been on. I also carry a set of traction boards because of deep sand that I might run into. And a small awning because its nice to sit in the shade when we stop for a picnic lunch in the desert. Thats about it. I carry an ammo box inside that I keep a tow strap, boost box, an air compressor and tire plugs and some tools. I usually dont get out too far in the backcountry if I am solo. I enjoy just getting out and sightseeing and hiking. I'm lucky to be in the southwest where there are limitless backcountry roads to explore.

Hilarious thread!

The funny contrast with 'proper/traditional overlanding' (during which you actually cross continents and live out of the car for months on end), is that you want the least amount of modifications as possible to your car. All the extra bling will probably fail, it will interfere with mr.T's great engineering, can't be replaced/repaired in some weird country and above all attracts attention you don't want!

Hilarious thread!

The funny contrast with 'proper/traditional overlanding' (during which you actually cross continents and live out of the car for months on end), is that you want the least amount of modifications as possible to your car. All the extra bling will probably fail, it will interfere with mr.T's great engineering, can't be replaced/repaired in some weird country and above all attracts attention you don't want!

Ya many on the internet said that about my 1st gen Taco back in 2009 when I first drove to Panama and back. It was supercharged, 7th injector, small pulley running 16psi, URD ECU, headers, lifted, locked, customized, ect ect ect.

You will kill that engine man, you can’t get 91+ in Latin America man, blah blah blah.

I did 25,000 miles in two trips down there and back in that truck. TPS failed, otherwise no issues and was always able to get 91+.

There are talkers, know it alls, haters and all that all over the internet. Then there are the doers who don’t listen to that garage. 😉

Cheers

Ya many on the internet said that about my 1st gen Taco back in 2009 when I first drove to Panama and back. It was supercharged, 7th injector, small pulley running 16psi, URD ECU, headers, lifted, locked, customized, ect ect ect.

You will kill that engine man, you can’t get 91+ in Latin America man, blah blah blah.

I did 25,000 miles in two trips down there and back in that truck. TPS failed, otherwise no issues and was always able to get 91+.

There are talkers, know it alls, haters and all that all over the internet. Then there are the doers who don’t listen to that garage. 😉

Cheers
Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I'm not claiming that bling and aftermarket stuff will necessarily break, enough examples like your own that it works perfectly. But from personal experience, most of the stuff that broke on my trip (check out my signature), happened to be stuff which was added to the car after Mr.T rolled it out of the factory in Japan. So on a future trip, I'll modify less.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I'm not claiming that bling and aftermarket stuff will necessarily break, enough examples like your own that it works perfectly. But from personal experience, most of the stuff that broke on my trip (check out my signature), happened to be stuff which was added to the car after Mr.T rolled it out of the factory in Japan. So on a future trip, I'll modify less.

Well I did it again in a 100-series that weighed 8,000lbs and was fully kitted out. Only issue on that one was a dragging rear caliper.

More than 35,000 miles through Latin America, a TPS sensor on the Taco and a set of brake pads on the 100 were my only issues.

I did prep the trucks myself before the trips so there is that.

People should do up their trucks however they want and they should do trips however they want. I think it is wrong to assume or say though that a stock truck is best or the only way to do international trips.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom