Overheating... SBC 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here a few pics
WP_000148.jpg
WP_000149.jpg
WP_000150.jpg

Hope you found your problems. I couldn't read through all the responses, so if you already heard some of this, sorry. I used to do v8 conversions for a living and here is what worked best for us.
We would use a 7 blade mechanical fan with a custom shroud and made sure that the fan blades were half in and half out of the shroud. Also make sure that the radiator does not have any gaps between the front bib and radiator or air will actually go around the radiator. I have also found that having some type of exit for the air helps as well, like holes in the inner fenders or louvers in the hood. Having an electric fan with no shroud will always give you problems. The only time I have personally used an electric fan was in addition to a mechanical when I didn't have access to the right stuff and wanted to go wheeling. And it only sorta worked. I have also heard lots of good things about the Taurus fans and if you see pics of one you will notice that they fit the stock cruiser radiators almost perfectly and all air flow is pulled through the shroud. I have a schematic of how to wire them properly with relays, etc. if interested.
A quality stock temp thermostat will be fine. Remember chevy designed it to work that way. Any other t-stat crap will only lengthen the time slightly before it overheats. I wouldn't even call it a band aid. Good luck hope that helps.

Just looked at the pics, Cirbo has it right. Tan fj45 i think. Notice the fan in relationship to the shroud and how the shroud uses the entire radiator, very nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom